1 to 20 of 25 messages
25/01/2009 at 21:07
I absolutely agree with this, but has anyone any ideas on the best way to get rid of a 6 metre high wall of 25 trees running round my garden?
30/01/2009 at 21:25
Is it possible to find a use for shredded leylandi clippings? I am fairly new to owning an allotment and wondered if they could be used for paths, filling in holes - I have a few of those - or even be composted. Perhaps they can be used to make ericaceous compost?
02/02/2009 at 11:33
I'm afraid, Mr Murraymint, the only way is with chainsaw, stumpgrinder and (sadly) chequebook! Shredded leylandii will eventually compost down. I have used them for paths before and they are fine but not at robust as woodchips.
02/02/2009 at 20:28
My elderly mum has a Leyland cypress hedge that has become too tall and too wide. She is getting complaints from a neighbour and so from the council, which worries her greatly. I have noticed that some similar species sprout new growth vigorously from their bases when cut back to a bare stump. Could this be a cheap way to restart a more reasonably sized hedge, which will grow outwards rapidly to fill holes, and which has a 5ft height marker (the stump) to help keep the height down? Or will the whole thing just die?
06/02/2009 at 18:05
leylandi should be sold with a health warning. We move to this house nearly 2 years ago the house is 23years old and I think everyone on the estate must have gone out and emptied the garden centres of the things 23 years ago.the size of some are unbelievable one inparticular is easy 5metres wide and as high as the house lucky for us its not in our garden,we did have one next to a horsechestnut we chopped it down last year and dug out the root.both side of us back and front are leylandi but lucky again the roots are in the neighbouring gardens and we have very good neighbours we do one side between us and the other side we go into their garden and trim them they are at a manageable hight and we bought one of those hedge trimmers that can cut at different angles and have ajustable handle for different hights a pain spending time cutting other peoples hedges but they look nice when kept trim.I did read they dont live long lives like our native trees is this true?if it is theres going to be either a big compost heap or a very big bonfire one day,can only hope.I would much rather see a nice native hedge and I'm sure the wild life would like it better.
08/02/2009 at 20:14
How long does a Leyland live? I don't think anyone knows yet, as they were only bred less than a century ago. Which also means that no one knows how big they eventually grow. I hoped that an overgrown hedge could be cut right back to bare stumps, which would then spring to life with rapidly growing shoots from the base, so giving you a 'second chance' to keep it in check. I have today been told that Leyland cypress cannot do this. Has anyone any direct experience of this?
09/02/2009 at 15:36
HI Martin I'm afraid that your hedge will not sprout back if you cut it back hard. Instead it will be brown and dead. This sort of hard pruning works well with yew, box, laurel, privet, Lonicera ntida and other hedging shrubs but not Leylandii. You can clip it lightly but that's about it. I'm afraid you either have to live with it or grasp the nettle and start all over again.
05/07/2009 at 20:57
Hi i have a beautiful leylandii hedge, however, on my neighbour's side he has severly pruned it so it looks mainly brown with cut branches with some green parts- my side looks really good what can i do to improve the side the neighbour has pruned? will his pruning affect my side?
09/07/2009 at 21:22
Anon: Sadly most Cypress will not grow back if they are cut back very hard so your neighbour is stuck with a brown hedge. It shouldn't bother your side except that the hedge is unbalanced and - if hit by a very strong wind, may be more vulnerable.
17/07/2009 at 15:26
i have just cut the top of my layland cyprus trees im looking to know will it grow taller it is 4 foot tall i want it to grow to about 7 foot or will it stay at that hight i took off about 4 inches
20/07/2009 at 18:50
Harry: I promise you it will grow back. But it will not stop growing at 7' so be prepared for lots of clipping!
26/09/2009 at 10:10
Any plant that grows to the point of encroaching or effecting a neighbour's garden detrimentally should be controlled by law. These trees cause misery to mostly retired people who spend more time in their home and garden and to whom it is their main source of enjoyment. The cold shade and damage to the soil that Leylandii cause is far more serious than is realised. You can try for years and as hard as you like to grow a beautiful garden in their shade but you won't succeed. Also with our British weather we get quite a few days of sunshine in the winter and this undoubtedly lifts our mood; imagine living in the shadow of these trees which act as a screen and behind which is the most glorious warm sunshine and it cannot reach you. This subject seems insignificant and almost ridiculous but clearly it has a major impact and that's why there is some legislation is in place. We just need to get to that one stage further where the law is clear enough to tackle the problem simply, say by local authorities acting upon cases as adjudicators and without requiring a fee. What the hell is the big deal anyway!? What is so precious about these ugly, dark green, dusty, life sapping trees? We all want privacy, no doubt about that and there are many plants that are beautiful, easy to maintain and neighbour friendly. "Evergreen" sounds such a romantic word but in the context of the English seasons, it takes on a perniciousness. It cuts out light and heat, it doesn't do that magic thing of anouncing Spring is here, it saps the soil, it gives solid, not dappled shade, it never changes - it is like a dusty old drab curtain that needs throwing away to let the sunshine in.
20/11/2009 at 11:24
I canot think of any plant that I actually hate, dislike some . My biggest dislike is the leylandii but this is mainly the fault of those owners who don't keep control of it. I have one next door to me which swamps their garden and blots the sun out from mine but they are nice young people and I try in a friendly way to let them know. They are always promising to do something about it but never do, I think they are worried about the cost as it is very costly. I must mention it again before next spring when I will be planting up my little veg patch.
13/03/2010 at 17:04
We have about 7 Leylandii in the garden of our new house. we obviously want to get rid of them, but at this time of the year (march 2010) I believe them to be full of nesting birds. What is the best time to chop these horrors down ???
15/03/2010 at 09:34
You will have to move very quickly: birds are definitely on the look out for nesting sites at the moment and Leylandii, because they are dense and many branched, are hot properties. Might be best to hang on until the autumn when all the birds have fledged.
31/03/2010 at 14:54
I am wanting to remove 4 Leylandii from a garden, but need to plant something in its place to act as a screen. How long after removal and plenty of manure can I begin planting. Is there anything special I should add to the soil? I am thinking of putting in a rhododendron and a viburnum plicatum Mariesii in place would these be any good?? As much advice appreciated
26/05/2010 at 21:09
leylandii should be banned from small gardens my neighbour has 3 trees and they are over 7 ft high plus they cut out sun light from my side bahhhh
29/05/2010 at 11:08
leylandi can be a very useful hedge but cab anyone advise on how to make this a garden feature instead of a large block of green?
31/07/2010 at 22:51
I recently had a row of out-of-control Leylandii trees taken down by chainsaw. They were once a hedge but had grown into 8 metre tall trees. A neighbour did the job for me in return for the sizeable upright branches for his wood-burner. I asked him to leave the stumps at about eye-level for me, at around 1.75m, and the plan is to grow clematis up them. The question is, is it safe to do this or will the trunks evntually topple over once the roots have rotted? I think I already know the answer so my follow-up question is how long do I have before the roots rot?
28/09/2010 at 19:29
Can you believe that my local authority has just served me with a protection order on a number of these trees on my property. Two or three of them are already taller than the surrounding houses, but they say they add to the ambience of the area and are a public amenity! I'm not even allowed to prune them without written permission and yet I'm held responsible if they cause any damage. Can you believe it?
1 to 20 of 25 messages