London (change)
Today 13°C / 7°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
16 messages
15/02/2010 at 15:37
I'd love to show my garden but l don't think it's big enough or perhaps as interesting, ho, well perhaps some time in the future. I'd never heard of the yellow book, l'll have to buy it and look at some other gardens.
16/02/2010 at 17:05
I started visiting yellow book gardens four years ago and have been hooked ever since. I love meeting other gardeners who are always willing to chat and share tips and I always come back with some inspiration for my humble plot. The best value for money is the group openings where you get lots of "real size" gardens all close together. The only problem is fitting all the visits in!
17/02/2010 at 11:01
What a wonderful scheme the yellow book is. Going round a group visit to a village is a real joy, to see how with roughly the same soil, gardeners can make and create such beautiful and differently designed gardens. There is usually a plant sale (my downfall!) with handy growing tips from the owners. Some people offer a tea which rounds off the day nicely. Even in poor weather one can come across real delights
19/02/2010 at 12:07
The NGS is a wonderful organisation which we became involved with 2 years ago. My husband & I have now become joint County Organisers for East Suffolk. In reply to Chrissy on 15th Feb - above, please check out the NGS website www.ngs.org.uk which gives guidance on gardens thinking of opening e.g. size, quality etc. - if you still feel that your garden is too small, contact your local organiser anyway, they may have another small garden near you who would love to open as a 'Group' opening.
21/02/2010 at 16:37
I was also worried that our garden would be too small for the NGS, but was very pleased when we were accepted. The last three years of opening for the NGS have proved to be wonderful, you get to have wonderful compliments from visitors and make money for a very worthy charity. Visitors tend to linger interested in our plant combinations and garden design. That combined with the teas means that most visitors easily find 45 mins of interest. It obviously helps if you have a particular "hook" for your garden. For us, it is our dogs, but it could just as easily be a particular plant group, colour, soil type, art or some such thing. http://www.barhi.net/garden http://gardeninganddogs.wordpress.com
23/02/2010 at 12:18
I was delighted to be able to support Charities by opening my garden. I had been invited by the NGS to open my gardens ( two different houses )in the past,they are a wonderful organisation. I hope to open my garden again in the future. Where we live at present is too small,though it is still a packed garden lover's garden. Filled with climbing roses and solanum alba on high wires to create a scented and floriforous oasis, where we sit "on good days " having cups of tea and planning the next NGS garden to visit. I wish a good season to come to all you gardeners out there. cheers Passi Flora
24/02/2010 at 10:10
We too, open our garden for visits from groups. We have parking issues here so find groups of say 20/30 a better option and we are still able to raise reasonable funds for charity. We thoroughly enjoy this.
25/02/2010 at 09:59
Hi i have some seed potatoes chitted in a cool place, i live in north buckinghamshire could you please tell me when the earliest i could plant them.Thank you
09/03/2010 at 16:40
Bob Fowles, my great grandfather always said to plant seed potatoes on good friday. Other old country ways are not to do so until you can sit your bare bottom comfortably on the soil (not something I've checked out). We are in Wiltshire and won't put our potatoes in til easter - hope that helps!
09/11/2010 at 10:42
Don't know if you know but NGS now have a product and services area at www.ngs.org.uk/directory they also have information on how to open your garden for the NGS
29/03/2011 at 13:55
http://sensperlaloto.narod.ru/
22/05/2011 at 19:24
у вашего сайта хороший диз, сами рисовали? история фамилии гришин
11/06/2011 at 08:33
Thanks for the information, btw you can google the additional info
20/07/2011 at 06:01
This article was written well ,I like…I will keep your new articles
22/07/2011 at 19:54
I like this this It is a pity, that now I can not express - it is very occupied. But I will be released - I will necessarily write that I think on this question. Diah-net
28/11/2011 at 18:40
This year I have promised myself to make more time in visiting small gardens to gain knowledge and insight in how we can all adapt and make our own gardens a place we want to be in.Informal/formal can all be achieved in a small garden and as most of us live in urban areas,I am sure alot will be learnt. I look forward to figuring out how many small gardens I can visit using this book.And how the gardener can make their space special to them.
email image
16 messages