Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: The RHS Chelsea Flower Show, 2011

I can only say, Ihave never been to the Chelsea flower show only ever watched on TV but enjoy every moment of the programme.All the gardens are lovely but the amount of money that is spent on them so they should be, not many of us would be able to take them home. they are all a joy to behold, one day maybe I will see it live.good on the people growing the plants.

• Alan Tidmarsh said yesterday that "THEY" (whoever "THEY" are)said Carol Klein was not enthusiastic !I beg to disagree, I think she is a really good presenter of gardening and I always enjoy it when she is on the television.
  • I just put 'compost' in the search engine, hoping to find out what was good to include and what was unadvisable, and it came up with no results..... surely not????
    Am I doing something wrong?
  • Rosieglow,try "gardeners compost" in your search engine. You'll have enough reading to keep you going till the rain stops.
  • Lovely to see the gardens and the plants. I am a member of NAFAS (National Association of Flower Arrangers - tell Alan the name has changed!) I am passionate about gardens and gardening but would love to see some of the work done by NAFAS members. There is a large stand and two competitions and we are affiliated to the RHS. Surely that merits 15 minutes out of the many hours coverage?
  • Would shows like Chelsea not attract more general interest if they focused on the needs/design suggestions for normal/average households?

I find it very wrong to see so many costly/extravagent examples of the horticultural "elite", in a period of financial hardship for society in general?
  • Soz, the comment on the extravagance of Chelsea, was made by me, but I forgot to put my name. It is a heart felt oppinion, so I have come back to own up to the comment xx
  • We have watched throughout the week so far starting with Sunday evening and thoroughly enjoyed the whole spectacle. We last visited in person in 2007 on the Tuesday which was fine but has been surpassed by 2010 and this year. I used to go regularly in the 80s but living back in Scotland makes for an expensive exercise. Kevock Nursery was featured last evening and they are sweet people and I went round their nursery near Edinburgh end of April.Chelsea gives us all ideas and aspirations some of which we have realised in our own stone wall surrounded garden in the Scottish Borders. Keep up the good work it is the best of British which is important. Essential to start of our summer...hope you get some rain down in England; we have had enough!
  • I really do appreciate the comments of Mucky Gardener re under 5's but it can be difficult enough to get round as an adult and the thought of trying to cope with a pushchair - it could drive you to drink. I am in total agreement that it seems discriminatory but the logistics don't bear thinking about. Sad but true.
    We thought the gardens this year were all superb. The sort of planting we might all aspire to, and can relate to our own gardens. I may possibly draw the line at having a crane in the garden bit then Chelsea is all about showmanship after all.
    I had a wonderful time there - the best ever I think.
  • Mags is spot on with her comment about visiting with young children and prams. I've been several times but only after my daughter was grown up, one day I will go again. Perhaps Mucky Gardener doesn't have anyone to mind the children for a few hours.

There are small gardens as well as huge ones, you take from them what suits you. I think there is an enormous interest from people of all backgrounds.
    I can understand your comments regarding the economy,but would you stop London Fashion Week because the clothes are expensive or not designed for the average woman?
  • I'm with Mags on banning small children from Chelsea. Just looking at the TV coverage - I would hate to try and negotiate that heaving crowd with a pushchair or even mobile child. I shudder to think what the queues for the loos were like. Any under 5s would be quite justified in saying 'Daddy, can we go now?' after half an hour.