Start a new thread

1 to 12 of 12 replies

i SAW GARDENERS WORLD WITH MONTY DON THIS EVENING AND HE WAS TALKING ABOUT PLANTING GREEN MANURE. i WANT TO KNOW WHICH GREEN MANURE I PLANT FOR CABBAGES - MAYBE YOU CAN LET ME KNOW THANKS
My neighbour has a lovely red flower/bulb in a pot but am unable to find out if it is the same as the one shown on the website. Any ideas?
I too grew tigridia for the first time this year . My were a beautiful pink & red colour. They only lasted a day , but were well worth it
This tigridia isn't anything like the ones I tried some years ago, which grew 3' tall, spindly and scraggy, each plant bearing about 4 tiny 1"-wide flowers of a most undistinguished muddy purple. I decided the pics I'd judged them from must have been very close-up close-ups, and taken through a coloured filter, as in so many catalogues, and chucked them out in disgust. If I could remember where I got them, I'd go back and demand a refund!

Advertisement

Is Tigridia also known as the jockeys cap lily? I've grown them for the first time this year and they were stunning if only for a day, but worth it. Can anyone tell me should passion flowers ie constance elliott and lavender lady be cut back if they have not flowered? They are in a cold greenhouse will they be ok for winter?
I have grown the tigridia pavonia bulbs for a few years now and i love their displays of cup shaped blooms. After a while they do last longer, as you get stalk after stalk with the flowers opening, true the flowers do only last a day, but i think that they are worth waiting for!
I planted bulbs in pots, i have got lots of leaves but no flowers, do you think they will come into bloom?
Oh Adam, how unlucky you were; I have bought and planted Tigridia bulbs here in my W Sussex heavy clay; I did make sure the planting holes were lined with good compost and manure and waited to see what happened. The first year's batch were excellent, the bulbs overwintered - I was ill and couldn't lift them - and this summer the flowers have been even more impressive. I agree about the fugitive flowers..a bit like day lilies, but my plants gave repeat flowering, and as I planted them in clumps, as a group there was always a flower to enjoy. I bought my bulbs via sellers on Ebay, so I was very lucky with the results. I think they add a wonderful exotic touch to a mixed border.

My tiger flower (only one blooming at present) has opened for a day closed for a day reopened the next day and repeated this pattern all week. Is this usual? It's my first year growing this bulb so not sure what to expect.