London (change)
Today 15°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
16 messages
28/09/2009 at 14:25
My concern with glyphosate spraying is with chemical drift. The neighbors behind my garden sprayed weed killer on weeds in the turf. Some of it drifted over to my garden and damaged a conifer. It took years for the poor plant to recover. So I have to come down against spraying the stuff. I do use it on weed tree stumps and Bindweed by dabbing it on.
30/09/2009 at 23:10
the alternative to Glyphosate exists already it is call horticultural vingar.
01/10/2009 at 12:01
I think that's fair. If more people were 'mostly organic', I'd be very happy. I don't use weedkillers, but now that the neighbours' cats have realised that the driveway is mostly full of edible weeds, and they're running the risk of being run over and glyphosate is becoming tempting..
01/10/2009 at 23:26
I think that it would be hard to run an allotment where there are perennial weeds without glyphosphate, especially if there are brambles as there are on mine. Sometimes a thick mulch of carpet helps with some weeds but has the disadvantage of being slow and will not necessarily clobber the dreaded brambles. Persistent hoeing or dig 'em up are the only other options and the latter is certainly hard going. I have found that it is possible to compost perennial weeds successfully if you keep them in a black polythene sack for a time or even a bucket with no holes; they give up the ghost after a while especially in dry weather and it seems a pity to waste the humus.
02/10/2009 at 16:58
Is there on organic moss killer for lawns? Or nearly organic? My lawn is half grass half moss, and it seems that the moss is winning more space every year.
02/10/2009 at 21:51
Glyphosate kills thousends of frogs and tadpoles and their eggs, this is a well known scientific fact , so i advice you strongly , don't use that poison.
02/10/2009 at 22:17
Depends how you use it. I read about enclosing weeds such as brambles in an open-ended plastic bag, then spraying with glyphosate. I tried that with the ones growing amongst shrubs. It worked well. I think 'mostly organic'is good enough.
08/10/2009 at 13:23
If you like glyphosate, do some background reading on Monsanto. I wouldn't touch R***d U* with a bargepole.
08/10/2009 at 16:54
I would be wary of using glyphosate on an area where animals might eat the treated plants. I have a 12 week old labrador puppy and would not use any chemical weed killer in the garden as he eats EVERYTHING! (He's very partial to my tomatoes!)It may not harm the soil but puppies and cats....? I'm not prepared to take the chance.
10/10/2009 at 20:50
I have just taken on an allotment. At the moment im hand digging the whole 15 rods, mainly to get the bulk of the brambles, bindweed et al. out. But next year a very big tub of the best that money can buy. I dont mind breaking my back once not every year. nearly is good enough for me.
14/10/2009 at 14:44
Glyphosate is a complicated molecule but it is made up entirely of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen, and breaks down into water and carbon dioxide. If you have animals, sprayed plants are safe once the spray has dried, so just keep them in til then. I too think 'mostly organic' is good enough. I don't use insectices or fungicides outside, but I have inherited vast tracts (well, a lot) of ground elder, bindweed and couch grass in my new garden. I've dug where I want the ground quickly but you won't get rid of bindweed by digging. I once (when my back was stronger) dug down to find how deep bindweed roots go. I gave up at about 4 feet. The bindweed kept going.
15/10/2009 at 18:25
l haven't sprayed anything as there seems to be those who say grow plants trongly, so l follow this path.
03/12/2009 at 23:57
When Gardeners World Presenter Monty Don left the programme we were shown a 'Deja vu' of many past presenters. However the BBC seems to have 'Air brushed' the late Geoffrey smith out. his Series 'The World of Flowers' was, in my view , unmatched as the 'missing link' between Botany 7 gardening. Let us see a 'Re-Run' & make the series available to buy on DVD.
14/06/2010 at 17:42
i sprayed my lawn with some weedkiller ,sorry cant remember the name of it,its made all my grass brown, help, will it grow back next yr, ,it was full of moss, i thought it would get rid of the moss, now my lawn which is about 20ft x 8 is a right mess.the only thing alive is weeds comeing back up
08/07/2010 at 18:55
I recommend people get better informed about pesticides and weedkillers generally. There is so much inf on the net, there's no excuse for ignorance now. We need to relax about 'weeds' more & welcome biodiversity. We are leaving our back lawn to become a meadow, and have trefoils, selfheal, clover and vetches in it - lovely.
28/11/2011 at 18:39
I'm with you there! As the years passed more and more rapidly I found it increasingly difficult to cope with hours of grass-cutting every week, and mowers that were for ever breaking down, so ,as I prefer biodiversity anyway, I decided to get rid of my three lawns and do some more interesting gardening. Glyphosate was the answer and I still can grow broad beans free of blackfly and seldom have any other pests, because the wildlife has not been affected.
email image
16 messages