London (change)
Today 26°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
2 messages
19/06/2014 at 09:09
The "Charlotte" potatoes I an trialling for Mr. Fothergill are harvested from the potato planter bag and being eaten. very delicious and a good crop. Such a clean way to grow potatoes. The same weight of tubers is being grown in one of my raised beds for comparison so I am keeping a sharp eye on them. the flowers have been removed so the harvest should be pretty soon. I think they will win cropwise but of course I have to dig them out instead of tumbling them out on to a sheet of plastic. We, the Nation of Gardeners Team are trialling 6 kinds of tomatoes, one blight resistant one so it is a worrying time, but I have put mine in the lea of the house which has saved my crop in former blight ridden years by sheltering them from the rain containing the spores and from the windblown ones as well.
19/06/2014 at 10:06

There is early blight and late blight.  You may not get blight at all.  We grow earlies to avoid it. And tomatoes in the greenhouse for the same reason.

Why have you removed the flowers from the potatoes?  There is no need.  If there are any flowers they can give a rough guide as to whether it is worth digging a plant.

email image
2 messages