London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
8 messages
24/11/2011 at 15:27
It would useful to have pictures of the plants mentioned on this page.
24/11/2011 at 15:28
I agree as i don't always recognise names!
24/11/2011 at 15:29
I really need to know what are the most hardy plants for containers. I have had my plants decimated by vine weevils and want to repot ASAP as the garden is bare!!
is ther any plants that will fare well against these evil creatures that will also produc some nice flowers??
24/11/2011 at 15:30
Same as the first to as just starting out.
10/06/2012 at 10:07
My green tennax phormium has flowered this year. Is it possible to grow more plants from the seeds and how can I do this please. Thanks
10/06/2012 at 11:31

To stop the vine weevils, I usually find an old hanky of my husbands (no wonder he is always wanting some for Chmas) and place it at the bottom across the hole. As they are cotton it still allows moisture out, but should stop weevils getting in. I read in Gardeners World mag that to lift them off the ground slightly, as the beetles can't fly or climb. Having said that on emptying a rose I had had in a pot for 3 years, The soil was riddled with the grubs, pure white c shaped maggots with black noses. I was amazed at how many!

10/06/2012 at 13:37

Actually, vine weevils can climb very well indeed (even up glass!), but they can't fly, as you say.  I've even had them in hanging baskets supported only by wire, so they are pretty good acrobats - the squirrels of the insect world, if you like!

10/06/2012 at 14:29

If you don't have old hankies to hand, a J-cloth or similar lining the lower section and base of the pot will help to keep out beasties such as vine weevils and woodlice. Or (possibly, but not tried), any odd scraps of horticultural fleece would do the job,

email image
8 messages