London (change)
Today 17°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 8°C
9 messages
07/05/2014 at 16:46
This is almost certainly Jin Zui Yang Fei (tipsy Imperial concubine) as matched in the beautiful book by Jane Fearnley-Whittingstall on Peonies The Imperial Flower.

We had it for years and then sadly last year it started to die despite all our efforts but I have some wonderful photos of it whilst at its peak and miss it dreadfully. It would very often have as many as 25 blooms on it and I thoroughly recommend it for its beauty.
07/05/2014 at 17:51

Can you tell me will peonies be OK to put in my front garden which gets very hot in summer sun almost all day ...thank you 

08/05/2014 at 16:59
Our yellow tree peony (name also unknown) annually drops its large black seeds which root around the garden and are potted up for friends. Flowering lasts only a short time but the pretty leaves make a lacy shadow in hot sun.
I read that monks used the black seeds as rosary beads so I'm collecting them to make a string of beads for myself.
08/05/2014 at 18:38
There was a tree peony in our garden when we bought the house - I had to email the previous owner to ask what it was... It is sitting in nearly no earth in a very windy spot catching salt from the North Sea which is just across the road here in the Scottish Borders.
Now I understand why it isn't doing a whole lot of activity! I will offer it my apologies and some mulch tomorrow, plus encourage the neighbouring potentilla to cuddle up and protect from the wind!
Thank you
09/05/2014 at 12:59
I have 4 tree peonies in my garden, it has taken 4 years for 2 of them to flower, big, silky deep pink to red, one bloom on each plant, the other 2 did not flower. The flowers have lasted well, so beautiful, it makes me so happy to look at them. I have 15 ordinary peonies, the yellow ones are so gorgeous. I have planted some peonies in my rose beds, I think they'll do and look well together. Here's hoping, will know next year, it takes time for peonies to flower.
14/05/2014 at 06:19
I have a yellow tree peony. It is lovely and smells heavenly. It blooms every year, but never gets anymore then 4 blossoms. I think it might be in to much shade. I am afraid to move it since I have been told they don't like to be moved.
14/05/2014 at 06:39

A gorgeous thing.  Fascinating name.  I know another Tipsy Imperial Concubine - http://www.classicroses.co.uk/products/roses/tipsy-imperial-concubine/ - sadly I don't really have the right conditions to grow either. 

23/05/2014 at 03:18
what a lovely peony can't imagine any one not wanting it in their garden. my normal peony that is out in flower at the moment and has been looking quiet lovely was battered almost to death yesterday with that deluge that came from the sky, all the flimsy pink petals are now a crumpled mess.
23/05/2014 at 08:25

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/46671.jpg?width=375&height=350&mode=max

hmmmm

email image
9 messages