London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
5 messages
12/04/2012 at 21:23
Is there any sign that the Lily beetles are finding their way to the lillies by smell? I wondered if it might be worth-while crushing up something that smells a bit bad and spraying them with that - Garlic or Euphorbia perhaps, but I'm not sure what the consequences would be more widely. For the moment I'm just going to plant garlic close by and see if that helps. What do you think?
15/04/2012 at 04:45
What a lot of people don't know about Lily beatles is when you try to pick them off the plant they very cleverly drop onto their backs so that the red is hidden in the earth but there is a plan, a sheet of white paper placed below the plant so that if they think they've got away, they haven't they are shown up by the white background, don't you just love out smarting the little blighters.
06/05/2013 at 14:22

Right this is what I do! I havent read  the rest yet,but maybe others do this too .

I treated myself to some carniverus plants from      "   jersy direct  "  they were not cheap but they were a decent size and ready for  feeding . Only thing you need to do is keep the plant pot in about 1 inch of rain water  and they must not dry out. I bought the indoor ones but you can get them for outdoor and they ARE supposed to stand below zero conditions. 

I use a see through wide topped plastic bottle with a cap,I put the bottle underneath and knock them into it . You have to be quick cos the bliters fly . AND THAT MY FRIENDS  ,  .................IS LUNCH FOR MY PLANTS !  wait until you have a good number. It doesnt take long .

I'm so cruel ! but after you have put in about 10 at once into the same funnel you can actualy hear them squealing !!!    AND this is where someone might put me in the loony Bin - I stand there saying to my plant  " enjoy your lunch cos these lovely orange beatles have eaten there last meal ......"

so the lesson in this is........ the beatles have eaten my plants so in return my plants have eaten the beatles - afterall ......alls fair in love and war !!!!!!!!!!! 

I ask you my friends  Am  I going loopy or what ?

06/05/2013 at 14:28

PS. Just read the top letter about smell  it may work but this one didnt which I tried for the same reason .,  . I planted  from Arum lilies  family "Dracunculus " - These stink and I mean stink  so dont try it . It made no differance whatsoever. Might give the garlic a go though -will try anything once in the aid of gardening.

08/05/2013 at 03:58

bump

email image
5 messages