London (change)
Today 12°C / 7°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 7°C
9 messages
13/06/2014 at 12:06
Foxes are welcome visitor's to my garden but the dogs run after them,but the fox is to quick and always get away.I put food for them in the front of the house so the dog don't get a look in.
13/06/2014 at 14:05
We feed the fox family on Bakers meaty meals, a soft meaty biscuit, and also soft tinned dog food. There is usually one cub who is braver than the others . This is one who would take food from my hand, and come to call from May until August when he disappeared.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dG2pE1msz0&list=UU521rSGt_f8cnS9-zvCtlPA&index=13
14/06/2014 at 07:48

Super video(s) fidget, love his glowing eyes!

Lyn
14/06/2014 at 13:58

I hate them ever since one went through all my rare breed chickens, mums and babies. Not to eat, just to massacre.

14/06/2014 at 14:15

We had the same problem as you Lyn. The fox just left our chickens in the garden. If they needed them for food I could understand it but is it sport with them. My father used to feed them in his town garden but is this encouraging them into towns and is this wise? Very emotive issue

14/06/2014 at 15:11

No the fox did not massacre them.  It's just the nature of the fox.  If you had left the bodies where they lay the fox would have come back to collect them over time.  

Having lived and worked in the country for many years, I find it hard to smile benignly on people that encourage foxes. Or badgers. 

14/06/2014 at 15:13

It is emotive and it would be horrible tol lose all the chickens. I know someone with a smallholding out in the derbyshire peaks, A very rural area, and foxes all over. She leaves a light on in the chicken shed all year. This apparently deters the foxes and the hens lay all year.  Its a bit cold up there so I swap various veg from my garden for eggs.

Our foxes live in the wild (private ) wood next door. 5 acres is surrounded by housing, many of whom feed the foxes. We are encouraged to have wildlife in the garden.

We put out food for birds.  They multiply and the sparrowhawk is attracted.The finches chuck food out on the floor which attracts mice and voles. The owl hunts  the mice. The pond attracts frogs,toads and newts.  The frog breeding session attracts the heron who fancies a quick snack.  Foxes are attracted by rodents, as well as food put out for them, and the hedgehog likes an easy meal as well.

City foxes rip open sacks of rubbish put out and fast food discarded by people.

In our area we have wheely bins. We started feeding the foxes after seeing an obviously pregnant female looking very thin. They cannot scavenge from binbags, and we enjoy the sight of them in the garden. It has taken a long time to get one to trust us. far from being the brazen city foxes, entering houses etc,any slight movement and they disappear.

We had one evening that we will always remember. One adult appeared, a couple of cubs, then another adult, more cubs, more cubs. All of a sudden we had 4 adults and 12 cubs gambolling around the lawn. It lasted all of three minutes,and they had gone. I think I must have held my breath all the way through.

So, should we encourage wildlife into our gardens? or not?.  I dont think you can be selective. The more you have, the more will come.

17/06/2014 at 11:13

I made ceramic eggs, unglazed, and with the ones not needed, I made a sort of nest in the garden.  Thought it looked pretty. One day noticed they were all gone save one with deep tooth marks. I still feel so sorry for that poor fox who transported fifteen eggs to its cubs, only to find.........

17/06/2014 at 11:16

Got one who comes and eats raisins from near me at about 10 foot

gets ragged by magpies sometimes and I saw him with a sick pigeon in his mouth

He looked happy !!

email image
9 messages