14 messages
11/02/2011 at 14:34
My aim for this year is to grow my own cut flowers as they're even getting quite expensive now too in the supermarkets. There is something very rewarding in going out and cutting your own flowers from the garden!
11/02/2011 at 19:19
i'm a florist but I have a passion for gardening and growing my own flowers. during the summer months i source english grown flowers (many of which are exported to Holland to be sent back here to be sold on again!!!) as much as possible to support english growers. However it would be impossible to run my business without the Dutch imported flowers so for now i will just have to be patient!!
12/02/2011 at 00:16
Does anyone know where I can 50 Blue Moon Rose blooms ?
12/02/2011 at 23:37
Be the change you want to be! its down to the consumer to stop buying flowers out of season from dubious overseas sources as much as it is for the BBC and kate bradbury to use their platform more effectively to highlight malpractice. It is really not good enough to mention a book that might mention something. Where are your own thoughts about this. Plug the book why don't you, but what about your own views? Is it a case of just trying please everyone and try to offend no- one, no doubt some industry insiders who may or may not have something to do with the cut flower industry.
13/02/2011 at 19:01
The true St. Valentine flower is the crocus. I went round my garden in the rain to see what bouquet I could concoct. There were lovely sprigs of Jasmine nudiflorum, pink bergenia, one Iris unguilaris, lots of Iris danfordiae, one small daffodil and hordes of snowdrops and cyclamen coum as well as Erica carnea,both white and red and, of course crocuses. I left them all to grace the garden and am sending my friends photos over the internet of my swathes of snowdrops for their Valentine treat.
13/02/2011 at 20:01
I forgot the early sprigs in bloom in the shrubbery - forsythia, kerria, chaenomeles and yellow and red hamamelis as well as the very scented sarcococca. And in pots and my "Persian Runner" there are sufficient pansies, violas, and wallflowers to make a posy. No way, of course, would I spoil my design when a photograph is much more permanent and can reach more people.
14/02/2011 at 16:29
I grow some cut flowers, but when it comes to it, I just can't bring myself to cut them. They always look so much better in the garden, so I end up just buying them! I like happymarion's idea of taking a photo instead.
14/02/2011 at 20:00
Start taking photos of your flowers and you will be surprised where it may lead. I have so many now I have made powerpoint presentations to ladies' clubs and they loved them so much (brilliant was the verdict and one kind lady congratulated me on such a "professional"lecture!) that I am opening my garden to them in May when the orchard is a sight to behold. I think my garden is wonderful, Kate, and hope yours can be too. I have a friend with a very small garden but he has 54 species, including beautiful climbers and the whole thing is exquisite. He sent me two lovely photos, one of his crocuses and Iris reticulata in pots and one of his clematis covered in violet flowers last summer. They are now on my fridge and will be there a lot longer than cut flowers from the florist would last. Happy Valentine's Day to all GW bloggers.
15/02/2011 at 17:23
Well, it's the day AFTER Valentine's now, and the long-stemmed roses that were £1.99 at the greengrocer's yesterday are reduced to 49p today. It's all looking a bit bleak. Read about the Valentine's Day aftermath at my allotment: http://www.mandysutter.com/reluctant-gardener-day-200-the-aftermath-of-valentines/
16/02/2011 at 17:50
My lovely fiance bought me a Callicarpa Bodinieri 'Profusion' for the garden instead of cut flowers. It will (hopefully) last much longer than any bouquet and I'll be able to think of him each time I look at it.
18/02/2011 at 21:41
I would rather give a plant than a bunch of flowers that will wither and die in a very short time, a plant a tree or a shrub will continue for many years, the person that recieves it will remember you every time they look at it.
22/02/2011 at 22:17
Im looking for a plant called Applecucumber plant, any ideas, i live in south yorkshire im new to the area so i dont know where to shop for this plant many thanks Boo Emmins
02/05/2011 at 06:13
Flowers have become universal symbols of emotions. Whenever there is a special occasion, people buy flowers to celebrate or to let someone know that they are special. People, especially men... Send flowers to Ahmedabad
28/11/2011 at 18:43
Lisa1 – that’s interesting (and infuriating) about the English flowers being exported to Holland to be sold back here again. Are those sold back to us by Holland still marketed as English grown? Top Gardener – thank you for your comment. I appreciate what you’re saying, but this was a blog, rather than a book review or a piece of investigative journalism, and I didn't aim to steer readers in one direction or another (or to ‘plug’ the book). My intention was, simply, to raise issues that might be of interest to readers, who could then research further, if they wanted to, and make up their own minds. Happymarion – your garden sounds wonderful. I like your idea of taking photos of the flowers rather than ruining the display. When it came down to it, I couldn’t bear to cut down any stems to take indoors. They’re so full of promise at the moment – I think the leaf buds will burst open any day now.
email image
14 messages