London (change)
Today 28°C / 20°C
Tomorrow 25°C / 16°C
21 to 40 of 44 messages
26/09/2012 at 13:19

Vine Weevil's tend to eat lots of small notches into leaves. My Cercis and Acers had lots of larger, rounded holes that I thought was Vine Weevil. I sprayed with Provado then noticed a few weeks later that it was leaf cutter Bees. So do not automatically reach for the bottle. Make sure you do have Vine Weevil before using insecticide.

27/02/2013 at 22:06

I live in Lowestoft on the east coast of Suffolk, and i found vine weevil grubs in the old compost of some pots i was clearing earlier this month, my heart sunk, as i have had problems before with vine weevils at my previous place! I didn't bring any plants with me purely for the reason i didn't want to contaminate my new garden, but it looks like "here we go again!"...

I agree with Blairs, leaf cutter bees cut leafs in the same way as vine weevils do, so make sure first! 

27/02/2013 at 22:17

I think leaf-cutter bees tend to chew the edges of leaves in a semi-circular way.  Vine weevils tend to have smaller, more squared sorts of notches on the edges.

In any event, spraying the leaves will have no impact on the dreaded VWs - the adults (active in warmer months) come out at night.  The damage to the leaves is unsightly, but has little impact on the overall health of the plant.  But - the grubs do the real damage, chomping at the roots of the plants.  They can be undetected until the plant collapses.  For that reason, the best advice is to apply a soil drench.

And if you've found the grubs in old compost, then I'm afraid as if you do have the problem again.  But - spread the compost out on a hard surface and let the birds clean it for you.  They relish the grubs - robins especially!

27/02/2013 at 22:21

Exactly what I do S. Violet.  Last year I even managed to tame a robin to come and feed from my hand using these grubs.  I had tried tempting him with lots of different foods but it wasn't until I tried the grubs that I succeeded.   They say that every cloud has a silver lining ....

27/02/2013 at 23:29
That's a waste of vine weevils. ,they make delicious additions to casseroles or even raw in salads
28/02/2013 at 12:05

Sorry Verdun but I'll pass on that as I'm vegetarian and I don't think they would be one of the best things to tempt me to eat meat again

Lyn
28/02/2013 at 13:42

My dad always grew a lot of fuchsias, and now I do the same, when I tipped his out of the pots a year or two ago, They all had weevils in, so last year when I did them, I bought the nematodes and now, tipping them out, there is not one to be seen. I used it on all my tubs and baskets last year, and will do again this year.

28/02/2013 at 17:10

hi Verdun. Any other suggestions for their use?

28/02/2013 at 18:18
Seriously, Doctor Antndec in his autobiography re life in Australia suggests vine weevils contain proteins, rare minerals like cele-bri-tyg-etmeouta here in the u.k. too. I first tried them last year and my health has never been better. check it out cazw.
28/02/2013 at 19:20

strawberries in planters always have a tonne, but fuchsias seem to be like crack to the blighters!

28/02/2013 at 20:01

But Verdun - you look very pale and unhealthy in your avatar picture

28/02/2013 at 20:08
Yes, I have a feeling they're eating me.....apparently there are side affects. Best to cook em first
10/03/2013 at 15:46

Florence and Symphony strawberries are said to be resistant to vine weevils.  I'm overun with the things but results are good so far.

10/03/2013 at 16:38

Gosh! Overrun! I nearly get a nervous breakdown if I find one! When I was first learing to gtarden I had a whole row of small perennials that keeled over and proved to have not roots and I was so disappointed that I've been neurotic about grubs in the soil ever since. Actually, I think those particular plants were eaten by the grubs of Daddy Long Legs, leatherjackets. I've since discovered that you can test for their presence by putting a piece of black plastic on the ground overnight and killing the grubs that have risen to the surface under it in the morning. no help for vine weevil grubs, though. I have clematis in pots and this year I am going to put parcel tape around them in a wide band and smear it with insect barrier glue (available on Amazon) since this is supposed to keep vine weevils away.

10/03/2013 at 20:04
Heucheras, fuschias, primroses of all sorts are likely to be attacked by vine weevils. Plants in pots are susceptible too but a top dressing of gravel is effective protection I find.
23/04/2013 at 07:10
Just repotted my Fig and the top inch of compost was rank with the horrible blighters, threw them for the birds. They are bigger than maggots and are curly - gross.
23/04/2013 at 07:26
Just repotted my Fig, the top inch of compost was lousy with the horribles, bigger than maggots and curly, threw them for the birds. Could be my fault for using old grow bag compost, just haven't the heart to throw it away, or dump it on the beds.
23/04/2013 at 07:48

I always top dress my pots with gravel as it looks better/stops dehydration etc so maybe that's why I don't seem to get probs with them.

Perhaps a stir fry is the way to go Verd? They'd be a good sub for prawns..

23/04/2013 at 08:05
Patrick
Fatal to use old compost like that
Fairygirl, you do that too?
23/04/2013 at 08:12

Do you mean stir fry?

I stick with prawns Verd...I'm not that daft!!

Off to work now, catch up later 

21 to 40 of 44 messages