London (change)
Tue 26°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 28°C / 18°C
1 to 20 of 33 messages
30/09/2010 at 19:03
For several nights in a row this week we have watched adult vine weevils try to get out of a garden spider's strategically placed web. The weevils are always gone in the morning and we doubt they have escaped. Well done spiders and aren't their webs pretty with raindrops or frost on them at this time of year?
30/09/2010 at 20:49
Vine Weevils, well if you are not going to kill them your plants will die, the grubs should be dug up and fed to the birds, the birds can't dig them up because they are too deep for the birds to reach. I had pots and pots of plants destroyed by these awful creatures so I have no problem killing them, one large pot had 100 grubs in it so one adult beetle can devistate your whole garden.
30/09/2010 at 20:59
really do have to kill vine weevils or they will devistate the garden as they seem to survive because the grubs are too low in the ground for the birds to get them, the adults give birth to vast ammounts of off springs.
30/09/2010 at 21:23
I lived with a colony of vine weevils in two window boxes over a couple of years. Each time I changed the planting I would put the old compost in a tray on the lawn and the blackbirds and robins would have a feast. It never quite got rid of the vine weevils but they didn't decimate my plants at all. Now I have moved.. but I think the vine weevils have moved with me..
01/10/2010 at 09:15
Vine weevils are totally evil and they do kill plants, do away with them whenever possible and keep them in manageable proportions - horrible enemies of the gardening fratwernity!!
01/10/2010 at 09:31
Hi everyone, we're having a few problems with our spam filter at the moment. Please do continue to leave comments - if they don't appear immediately we'll keep fishing them out of the spam folder until the matter has been resolved. Kate
01/10/2010 at 09:38
Sorry White Van Woman, if the weevils are not in the webs the next morning, it is because they HAVE escaped. Have a look at the blog entry from April 2009. http://blog.gardenersworld.com/2009/04/08/vine-weevils/
01/10/2010 at 09:42
whitevan woman - I love the sight of spider webs at the time of year too - hate accidentally walking through them though! kaycurtis, maggiewilde, Sir Digalot - thanks for your comments. Interesting how divided opinion is on the matter. I'll certainly let you know if I've made a mistake in deciding not to kill them! Has anyone else managed to live long term with vine weevils in their garden? Kate
01/10/2010 at 10:18
Gosh, even Bugman Jones squishes vine weevils. Well I won't, and we'll see what happens!
01/10/2010 at 10:27
I have found that if I put a layer of stones, either decorative or the large pebble stones in big pots, the vine weevils cannot get into the soil to lay their eggs. After losing a couple of beautiful roses a few years ago I have not been troubled by the weevils again since doing this.
01/10/2010 at 11:56
I'm with Sir Digalot - vine weEVILs are evil and should be killed along with those horrid red lily beetles. Until two years ago I had 10 plants in pots on my patio of assorted species and ages and they all died thanks to this nasty creature. I now keep just two plants in pots and only because they are ericaceous and I don't have acid soil. I stand the pots on bricks in saucers of water and so far no sign of vine weevil infestation. Does anyone know of any plants that can be grown in pots that will escape the vine weevils attentions?
01/10/2010 at 12:01
Kate Unless you squish 'em, your garden is dooooomed.
01/10/2010 at 12:21
Richard Jones enough of your scaremongering please! My garden is very lush and none the worse for its 'infestation' of vine weevil. I am now more determined than ever to live happily alongside my vine weEVIL. Lindy - I do that too. You need to keep on top of it though as any disturbance exposes the soil and then they can get in to lay eggs. Dahlia lover - in various pots I grow honeysuckle, geraniums (cranesbill), heuchera, jasmine, London pride, hebe, clematis, campion, passion flower, hellebores, Japanese anemone, chives, clover, mint and oregano, and alliums. All are thriving. (For now??) Kate
02/10/2010 at 12:48
I suspect we're all living with vine weevils in our gardens without really realising it. I wonder what it is about them in pots which makes them so deadly, but tolerable elsewhere? Perhaps plants get more of a root run in the garden which can stay out of harm's way. I bent down to sniff a rose the other day and an adult vine weevil fell into my hand. Not nice, so it got squished!
02/10/2010 at 16:09
Im sorry, but lm with all the anti Vine weevil writers,I hate them with a vengance as over many years they have caused havoc in my garden beds not just in my pots. This year they killed two lovely and expensive Acers l had in two large pots which didn't start to show signs of damage till it was too late! If l see any adults they get squashed!
02/10/2010 at 18:50
Talking of evils - as per Dahlia Lover - I normally wage a full-summer war against red lily beetles & their grubs. But this year I saw only a few adults, mainly at the start of the season & have had a (whisper it) damage-free season - a 1st! I wondered whether the cold snowy winter followed by a warm dry spring had not been to their liking. Has anyone else had this experience?
02/10/2010 at 19:41
I hate vine weevils too but I'm determined to keep them under control without chemicals, and too much squishing! Remember, they are breakfast, lunch and dinner for lots of wildlife. Read Val Bourne's brilliant book "The Natural Gardener" for some great advice about vine weevils, other pests and what I believe is the perfect way to garden in harmony with nature. She's even persuaded me to appreciate one species of slug - because it's cannibalistic!!
03/10/2010 at 12:01
I too, really hate vine weevils, they munched through my 20 pots of strawberry plants last year and killed the lot! I have been plagued with them again this year and have found them climbing around potted raspberry plants, so I'm afraid I've squished the adults before they can rain havoc on my garden. I like the idea of putting large stones around the potted plants, so will give that a try around the strawberries in pots. The lily bulbs are going out in the bin next week, I'm also tired of the lily beetles.
04/10/2010 at 19:24
Chalkweed, you have my sympathy, I lost six of my precious heucheras to the vile vine weevil grubs. This is the first time it has happened to me in 50 years of gardening. WAR has been declared on the beasties!(just not sure what ammo/tactics to use)
05/10/2010 at 15:00
Thanks Christine. I think my frogs are keeping the evil weevils in check. I daren't touch the slugs and snails either - even their eggs - as I worry the frogs will go hungry!
1 to 20 of 33 messages