London (change)
Today 7°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 7°C
19 messages
24/10/2013 at 19:24
Richard 'Bugman' Jones on the art of "how to get yourself and your family stung by wasps".
    24/10/2013 at 20:05
I like to dip my fingers in beer and let the wasps come to me to drink from my hand. Gorgeous little things. Go Bugman!
24/10/2013 at 20:12

I like mine to drink from a jar with a  little jam, half full of water and a lid with holes big enough for them to get in but not out.......and drown.

They ruin outdoor eating and their sting is really painful  ....

25/10/2013 at 07:14
Don't try this at home. Every year, I remember that I don't really mind badgers in the garden when they dig out any wasps' nests and eat all the contents.
25/10/2013 at 08:33
They may be beautiful and are certainly useful, but to some of us they are deadly. I had anaphylactic shock the last time a wasp stung me. Ronnie
25/10/2013 at 11:13
Definately do not try this at home, unless it is with someone skilled like 'Bugman'. I wasn't afraid of wasps until my early twenties when I zipped one up in the back of a dress, now at 59 I go into monir panic when ever one comes near. If a small chile gets stung just once it could make them afraid of wasps for life. Funn though because I will quite happily let a hornet land on my hand and watch it until it decides to leave, now there is a very handsome creature.
25/10/2013 at 11:19

Oops sorry I meant to say that I got stung 3 times in almost the same spot and I must proof read better before hitting submit: - minor, child and funny not monir, chile and funn

25/10/2013 at 11:59

leave a bin liner of dead leaves around, guarenteed nesting distination for most agressive wasps got stung 3 times,    little B*@x**s!!!

25/10/2013 at 15:35

I bought one of those Grey fleecy bags which look like a wasp's nest when hung up in the garden.  The theory is that wasps never build a nest close to one already in existence.  It has worked so far, and I haven't even hung it up yet!!!

Seriously, the idea of luring any animal to it's death is cruel, especially when they may not have even come near without the bait!!!

25/10/2013 at 15:53
What a foolhardy thing to do!! What happens if a child tries this after your 'lesson' gets stung and reacts? I am highly allergic to wasps stings and it takes two epipens to get me out of danger. I would not want anyone, especially a child to go through this. Teach them to leave wasps alone and in peace so that they are not frightened into stinging.
25/10/2013 at 16:17

Rosemary Smith, are you referring to my comment?  I think the faux wasp nest is an extremely good idea, but having been ill most of this summer I haven't got around to hanging it up. The rest was a joke.

I was taught when I was young not to antagonise them, with the result that I have never been stung, but I think the autumn is particularly dangerous because the poor things are dying and drowsy and can sting if accidentally picked up with fallen fruit or leaves.

If these things are explained to children quietly and calmly I'm sure they would take note. Certainly neither of my sons have been stung and they are both animal lovers now they are adults.

25/10/2013 at 16:24

Sorry,I regard wasps as a pest and have no qualms of luring them to their death with bait. as needed......rather a dead wasp than a sting.

 Last time OH was stung, we had to go to A & E

25/10/2013 at 17:15

I must admit I'm very sceptical about those hanging-bag wasp nest deterents. Most wasp nests are subterannean, and only a few species (subgenus Dolichovespula) make a paper carton attached to a branch. More sales pitch than animal behaviour, I think.

I took a live male wasp (and several females) along to the natural history club I run at Ivydale School in Nunead. They all peered suspiciously as I clasped it between finger and thumb. There too many children, and they get a bit excited, so I decided to forego the hands-on (or fingers-on) activity. If only for the sake of the poor wasp.

I've yet to hear from the parents, but I think I'm safe in betting that not one of them will have a go at picking up boy wasps off the ivy on their own, and that not one of them will get stung because of my lesson.

But I can be sure that they went away from school less scared, less muddled, more informed and more enthusiastic about wasps than when they came into the classroom that day.

26/10/2013 at 14:31

I have had two 'paper' wasps nests in my greenhouse this year.  I got stung three times at the beginning of the season, but then they seemed to get used to me and didn't mind me coming near to water and prune the tomatoes.  I wonder how intelligent wasps are.  I don't mind them at all.

31/10/2013 at 18:20

We had lots of wasps in the garden this summer and they certainly clear up lots of aphids making them a vital part of the food chain in any organic wildlife garden IMHO.

Having said that I'm still wary of them but have found that if you leave them alone they generally return the favour...

If you actually want to attract wasps then from this years experience plant some PERSICARIA AMPLEXICAULIS as it was covered in wasps for most of the summer!! The bonus is when it's not covered in wasps it's covered in other pollinators!!...

http://higgysgardenproject.blogspot.co.uk/

Best

Higgy

07/11/2013 at 16:46
would you trust young children to go into the garden and pick up the first wasp that looked about right?

I agree that they should be respected and welcomed, but not handled by kids without close and expert supervision.

I see dozens of people, of every age, every year, stung by wasps and some of the results are stomach turning.

An interesting post though.
07/11/2013 at 20:45

I've been stung by a wasp once. It got in the way of the crack between my neck and my scarf at 60mph. It itched.

Other than that, I've had them on me a few times. One landed on my lips at a picnic, following the scent of the food I'd just put in my mouth. I just waited until she filled up cleaning my lip and flew away before I did anything, and she and I were fine.

By contrast, I was eating with various other people once when a wasp entered the room. Most of us ignored her or waved her away but one young woman jumped up and ran round, screaming and waving her arms frantically, with her eyes shut and mouth wide open. She was not stung, but she was making herself likely to inhale the poor little wasp, which would have sucked for both of them.

Wasps, fire, explosives, firearms and other power tools, aircraft, motor vehicles, rivers, snakes and wolves: all much less likely to kill you if you understand them and treat them with respect.

08/11/2013 at 16:12

I had a wasp's nest near the door in my greenhouse and though I had a few buzz round me when I went in, I was never stung. No bug problems either on my tomato os chilli plants.

KEF
08/11/2013 at 16:25

No problem at all with most insects. Bees, love them, rescued them and have even stroked them, hover flies if that is what they are ? small pleasant insects resembling wasps. Even encountered hornets doing their own thing. Why do wasps have to be a damned aggressive pest, plenty of flowers and things to feed on, but no, they want to buzz around your head, face, and anything you eat, even if it doesn't have any sugar in it. After being stung twice as a child and once as an adult I have learned to gently waft them away and don't flap and wave, but they just persist. I can understand why people are afraid of them.

email image
19 messages