London (change)
Today 9°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 10°C
18 messages
03/07/2009 at 23:00
I think this is a good pollicy to only water the plants that need it especially in drought conditions
04/07/2009 at 07:26
Shortly I'll have a greenhouse so I read the advice on the site about damping down the floor in hot weather by emptying a can full of water over it. My greenhouse has a wooden base so is this a good idea? I'm thinking of the water being in contact with the wood and rotting it. Wouldn't standing a large bowlful of water add moisture to the air just as well?
04/07/2009 at 14:45
Gill, victorian greenhouses had watering tanks in the greenhouse full of water all the time (and staff to do the watering of course!). I think a large bowl would be good, but the water needs changing regularly so as not to go stagnant and bring other pests/diseases in. I stand my tomatoes in pots on large trays which I fill with water, this gives some moisture to the greenhouse atmosphere, and keeps the tomatoes watered for a couple of days.
04/07/2009 at 18:39
is there anything that will watter plants baskets for 2 weeks while away ??? thanks sory about spelling
05/07/2009 at 10:57
...try neighbours sgtmoody!!
08/07/2009 at 11:18
If you have no one to ask and don't fancy forking out on drip watering systems, you can stand them in a little water in a paddling pool or in your bath, if they are not plants which hate getting too wet. I have also heard great reviews from friends who have bought the plantpal system, they are only about £7-8 each and sense when to water the pots (they were on Dragons Den I think) Neighbours are the best bet though!
09/07/2009 at 00:44
~ ~ ~ VACATION WATERING ~ ~ ~ ~ Try a jug of water next to your plant, with a strip of cotton toweling from jug down into pot, and let it wick. If you have time before you leave you can see if it is going to be sufficient for the amount of time yool be gone.
09/07/2009 at 09:51
We have to use every drop of water sparingly, thus we use all household used water for the garden. Water is metered, like many parts of the UK so it can become very expensive blanket watering. I have tried to plant the vegetables using taller plants to shade the smaller ones, does not make for a very tidy, straight row garden. But the Sweetcorn shelter the runner beans who shelter the marrows and melons and peas, they grow up sticks, unlike the Bulgarian way my neighbour uses, these in turn provide shade for cabbage. The peppers, provide shade for Brocolli. The parsnips grow in pots under shade by the shed. As for the enquery regarding watering while away, a friend or neighbour is your best bet, you can do theirs when they go away.
09/07/2009 at 12:36
hI happy here,just a note to find out if any one has any tips on watering pots while away on hols,all suggestions greatly accepted. thnx.
09/07/2009 at 13:06
cheers Johnny,I will try that as I have upwards of 15 pots I will get my free buckets from Asda flower display as our local store have told me to take as many as I want ,once again tnx Johnny.
09/07/2009 at 18:46
i get epty lemonade bottels cut the bottom of then i put an nail hole in the top put the top back on then push it into the midle of your plnter so the compost covers the lid and fill it with water and give the planter a good watering first it works for me when i go away
10/07/2009 at 10:14
GOOD IDEA WOOSEY ,NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT THNX,
09/06/2010 at 17:22
in reference to water butts. I use 2 as the water run off from my garage. I wonder if it is safe to use on the veg given the bit of roof shingle and other debris that comes off with the run off. should i put a water filter such as a brita or some such thing on it? I would hate to in saving the environment, make my family sick. btw I live in Chicago, IL, USA and you are the best resource I can find for gardening.
26/06/2010 at 16:30
Is there a safe additive I can use to stop saved bathwater going musty in a butt? I have found one commercially available but seems v. expensive and they don't say what it is.
18/08/2011 at 13:52
My allotment has just installed some water butts which has really helped. We need a few more taps but otherwise its very good. http://www.watertanks4allotments.co.uk/
28/11/2011 at 18:39
I am always ready for drought conditions as i fill up my 4pint empty milk containers with rainwater from my butts whenever they are full. Watering my vegetables with tap water would be too expensive as my water is metered. I build the containers into a neat wall and use them when the butts are empty.
12/12/2011 at 13:06
Hi there,
Plantpal were indeed on dragon's Den and although they didn't recieve investment they are currently going from strength to strength. Please google me and you'll see I back his product wholheartedly whilst writing for Grow your Own and Ideal Homes.
Pre orders are available now, and it really will change the way we water, no need to ask neighbours, or remember on a sunny day. Plantpal all the way!
Martina Mercer
12/12/2011 at 13:56
Plantpal is indeed a great aid, it saves asing the neighbours for favours and also helps the most forgetful of us. No matter how hard I try each spring, I never do remember to water my pots every day, and this is why it's been an absolute saviour for me. Pre orders are available now. As a gardening writer I received a free sample, but can't wait to see it on the market so everyone benefits.
email image
18 messages