London (change)
Today 28°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 17°C
17 messages
22/06/2009 at 12:39
I have recently been told that you should always pinch the flowers out of potato plants. I have been growing potatoes for 35 years and have never done this. can you tell me if this is right.
22/06/2009 at 20:11
my potatoes have just started to flower, how do i know when they are ready?
24/06/2009 at 10:44
I have a beautiful Rhododendron which has been in the shadow of a big fir we have recently removed. One side of the plant appears to be dead. If I cut it right back will it come again?
24/06/2009 at 21:07
Hi I am new to growing things, second year. I am attempting to find out]why all the leaves of my runner beans have all gone yellow. Also my rubbarb is very spindly and short and the slugs/snails are having a field dy on the leaves - I have set snail traps but my lot must be tyea total (such a waste of beer)
24/06/2009 at 21:10
hello katoombamoi I hope this will answer the question you posted about pinching the flowers off your potato plants well i watched a gardening programe last year & it was on there that i heared if you take the flowers off you'll get a bigger potato, i did this last year (i've started to do it again this year) i had some large potatoes although i didn't compare 1 plant with another. I've just planted a black variety a fellow allomentier gave me have you heared of or tried these before? barbie
26/06/2009 at 08:21
Hi, Katoombamoi - just to second the pototato flowers question, yes I've heard to take away the seed pods too. Plant using energy to make them that we want as tuber growers for the potatoes. Only do it round the edge of the potato bed as can't reach anywhere near the middle!
26/06/2009 at 10:41
Does Fatsia Japonica have any bug problems? I have recently planted one between a buddleia and prunas, ornamental plum. The young leaves appear to have been eaten with holes in the middle and ragged edges to the leaves.
26/06/2009 at 13:35
Hi Rona. I've got a couple of Fatsias and when I first planted them (about 2 years and 3 years ago) they both showed the symptoms of yours. Don't know if something was just trying them to see if they were a good dinner but in each case the following year was fine. Don't know if a resident expert can throw light on it but if they are like mine then don't worry.
26/06/2009 at 14:19
will my step over apple tree roots spread far because i planted 1.5 metres away fom my pond
03/07/2009 at 23:23
Is it normal for beatroots to look like bullets instead of golfballs mine do at the moment, Are the too close together?
10/07/2009 at 14:22
planted potatoes as Monty instructed.I have take the early potatoes from the bag they are like marbles. Were have i gone wrong.
19/07/2009 at 13:09
I have just discovered tomato blight has struck my cherry tomatoes on my allotment. I have started to remove the plants. Can anyone tell me the best thing to do? Should I spray or is that pointless. Some advice would be appreciated please!!
21/07/2009 at 18:11
Hi There are many differences of opinions on various vegetable growing. is there a standard basic procedure available? Siorapwil
22/07/2009 at 17:48
my veg cabbage plants and salad leaves are getting eaten by a little black beetle what are they and how do i get rid of them.
23/07/2009 at 20:37
Would anybody care to let me have their views on protecting potato crops from blight in view of the recent heavy rain. I lost most of my crop last year due to the heavy rain and the resultant blight and my main crop have only just finished flowering. I garden on heavy clay soil.
22/07/2010 at 21:24
My potato plants have several small green seed pods. I understand that these are poisonous so am planning to remove them. It's my fourth year of owning an allotment and this has never happened before. Can anyone tell me why this has happened and are the potatoes underground still safe to eat.
28/11/2011 at 18:38
Hi ALL. A Message to everyone on this day the 16-6-2009 I know how to grow RICE in water, on water, or VERTICALLY simply done by using plastic containers as a water recycling system which is also transportable. To see what I claim is TRUE please visit my website, may you and yours and what you grow live long and happy. Thank YOU. JRP recycling or www.recycling.moonfruit.com John. J.R.P.
email image
17 messages