London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
17 messages
10/09/2009 at 13:19
Reply to greenman: I'm doubtful that this is the reason, but certainly can't for certain. Blight is an airborne disease caused by a fungus, and spread by its spores. It may just be that the first plant to get infected was furthest from the aloe, possibly closer to an open door or vent, and the disease has spread through teh greenhouse from here. I'm not aware of any fungicidal properties of aloe, unless anyone else is?
10/09/2009 at 20:56
Lets all put an aloe with our tomatoes it might be a companion plant protecting it from the evil forces of the air born fugi!!! worth a try don't you think? said with tongue in cheek. smile!
11/09/2009 at 15:07
Talking of Fungi....... I have something growning on my lawn that looks like yellow scrambled eggs. Does anyone know what this is or how to treat it.
11/09/2009 at 22:52
I GROW AND DISTRIBUTE LOADS OF ALOE VERA FOR FRIENDS WHO,LIKE ME USE THE SAP FROM THE LEAVES TO TREAT ANY WOUNDS,BITES OR BURNS. WEARE ALL AWARE OF IT'S ANTIBACTERIAL & SOOTHING PROPERTIES SO THERE JUST MAY BE SOME GOOD REASONS AS TO WHY GREENMAN'S BLIGHT ON HIS TOMATOES WAS CONTROLLED. WILL GIVE IT A TRY NEXT YEAR. WHAT IS THERE TO LOSE?
12/09/2009 at 14:12
how toxic is an oleander plant ?? i have a 2 yr old grandson
16/09/2009 at 10:00
Oleander is one of the most toxic plants known. According to Wikipedia, a single leaf consumed can be fatal to a child.
17/09/2009 at 12:03
can the woodlice get behind the concrete and continue there damage to the tree?
17/09/2009 at 12:07
lawn weed and feed works well with problem lawns i find after cutting the lawn allow a few days to pass then treat with product if it doesnt rain water the lawn too
18/09/2009 at 10:45
Reply to Neil: If you achieve a nice tight seal then the woodlice would be kept away, and this is the aim. Before filling with concrete, scrape out all the loose, rotten wood you can. Once dry, fill with concrete, just as you would if completing a DIY job on a wall in your home. The combination of a hole in your tree and rotting wood does mean that your tree isn't in the best of health, but this treatment should prolong the life of your tree.
30/09/2009 at 07:57
i was interested in the plum tree with some rot, but now cleaned up and stillproducing good plums. Happy ending! I would value comments on my old Bramley apple tree. It had good crops every year until this yr. It is very meagre this year and I have noticed a small yellow fungus growing at ground level round the trunk. The fungus is small, about 4 cm high, but very numerous and bunched together. What can I do to save the well-loved tree?
05/10/2009 at 09:50
Reply to Laughinghedgehog: very hard to ID a fungus problem from a description. I think your'd need to send a photo or even a sample to the plant pathologists at an organisation like the RHS to identify accurately. This fungus may or may not be causing any problem to your tree. If growth is strong and leaves looked healthy this year then can you remember whether it carried many flowers? Bramley is a triploid apple variety, requiring pollination from two other varieties flowering at same time. If the weather was cold then perhaps there weren't many pollinating insects around, and this led to poor fruit set.
02/11/2009 at 18:54
Re the Aloe Vera with tomatos plants. Aloes are renowned for their ability to bring good vibes, a certain grace, all this and more. They bring harmony into the space planted and are wonder healers so, use them as companion plants in the veg garden. you cant go wrong.
11/11/2009 at 21:41
I planted 2 lavaterias in the Spring They have done well produced lovely flowers, They have grown to about 5ft buti would like to cut them back & hopefully they get much thicker but whenis best to cut/prune.im recently retired & just geting into gardening which i love so any advice will be helpfull,Chris
25/04/2010 at 15:31
I have the same problem in an olde greegage tree. I sprayed the woodlice with insecticide, cleaned out the hole and painted all the exposed wood with arbrex and allowed it to dry. I then filled the hole with expanding foam, trimmed it off and painted over with arbrex. No problems since.
13/05/2010 at 18:06
I have a huge chinese lantern tree which is ten years old and is usually brimming with bright, red lantern in spring and early summer. BUT IT IS AS DEAD AS A DODO!!!!THIS WINTER HAS KILLED IT!!! Help- should I chop it down or wait in hop that it does a Lazareth act and come back to life??????
14/07/2010 at 16:12
There's a big old tree in my garden, fairly near to the house. I don't know what it is. Last year all the leaves fell off whenever there was a light breeze. This year there have been no leaves at all. The outer trunk seems to be soft and rotten, although the core is still hard. Do I need to get this cut down before the winter winds start?
28/11/2011 at 18:39
Here's a thing. I have an aloe vera plant that for want of somewhere else to live I put in the greenhouse with my tomatoes. Most of the tomatoes have blight and are not looking too clever, except the ones by the Aloe Vera. The closer you get to the aloe Vera the better the tomatoes. Is this significant?
email image
17 messages