London (change)
Today 23°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 14°C
20 messages
01/01/2011 at 15:27
Brilliant Kate. I have solitary Bee hotels but never from a Christmas tree. Julian
02/01/2011 at 11:13
We were given a blow-up Christmas tree by a friend who didn't have enough puff to blow it up any more. So we think this is very green, even though it is a bit phallic looking. (Can we say "phallic" on the BBC?) In the past we used to let our Christmas trees dry out, and them we'd eventually burn them in the fireplace. The branches are useful also for protecting tender plants from late frosts.
02/01/2011 at 11:37
How about this? it was done on sandymount strand in dublin a few years ago by artist Barbara Nealon, caused much interest and excitement! http://bit.ly/hNNpsb
02/01/2011 at 12:43
I abandoned a planted (pot)Christmas tree behind a large shrub 3 years ago and every year it has been home to a wrens nest.I could not chop it up now until they stop finding it useful.All I do is clear out the old nest in the autumn.
02/01/2011 at 13:14
Milo - Looks like you got away with 'phallic'. I'd prefer a fake tree to be honest but I lose the battle every year. My uncle's a wine merchant though so I've got a really lovely wine box to use to make the bee hotel emcs - That looks very beautiful but also quite eery. Moss - How lovely. Is it not a bit exposed though, or have plants grown through the branches? I've heard of Christmas trees being used to prevent soil erosion and also used to make dead hedges. Does anyone else have any nifty ideas for reusing dead trees? Kate
02/01/2011 at 14:44
I have a potted christmas tree, there are great
02/01/2011 at 15:10
reminds me of wonderful inset "hotel" at hornians http://flic.kr/p/6F2pBd trouble with fake trees is they are often plastic. Can do without more plastic. seen some nice drift wood ones. in my shared house we have a very aged very bare twiggy real tree in a pot...it works. has done for quite some years. We usually cut up family tree and yes sometimes use twiggy bits in garden...to keep jacadaws and pheasant off plants. dead hedges sound good.
02/01/2011 at 18:26
In the past we've cut the branches off the tree and left them for a few years to rot down in a bucket of water - the compost is slightly acidic as a result and so got used as a top dressing for our blueberry bushes. The trunk was used as a pole for beans to scramble up.
03/01/2011 at 17:52
Just been given a little potted one this year which stands about 8 inch high!! is it not possible to pot it on year after year, bring it indoors in the festive season n use it year on year?????
03/01/2011 at 17:56
I've been given a little potted one this year which stands about 8 inch high!! is it not possible to pot it on year after year n bring it indoors for the festive season??? I'm a novice!!!! obviously!!!
04/01/2011 at 11:14
We have a potted tree (approx 18 inches tall) and it's sprouting new growth. We live in a second floor flat and while we don't have a balcony there is a communal garden area. Would it be possible to do some bonsai magic and keep the tree small so it can stay in the flat?
04/01/2011 at 13:36
Deano - you certainly can! Give it an annual dressing of fresh compost and repot whenever the roots start to grow out of the bottom of the pot. Depending on the species you have (might be some sort of dwarf spruce), it could grow to around chest height. Teresa - in theory, yes, you can, but the results may vary. It will have a better chance of survival if it was pot grown, rather than having been grown in a field and then moved to a pot for sale. You'll need to prune the roots as well as the branches, and, eventually, it may lose its traditional Christmas tree shape. No harm in trying though! Kate
04/01/2011 at 21:39
Thanks, Kate! Will give it a try.
05/01/2011 at 14:05
Fortunately for me Southend council collect and compost all trees if you leave them on the pavement by your house (mine is there as I type this), which makes the whole disposal process very easy and guilt free. It would be nice to make more 'use' of it though - perhaps I'll go and whip in back before the collection people get their hands on it!
05/01/2011 at 17:54
Thanks Kate!!!! Let ya know how it goes!!!
07/01/2011 at 01:35
This year I moved the tree outdoors and decorated it with edible garlands and bird seed ornaments for birds wintering in our area. This way I still get to enjoy it a little longer. I wrote about it and gave some examples today @ http://dabblingsandwhimsey.blogspot.com/2011/01/christmas-tree-leftovers.html I love your idea too though for a bee hotel. I might do that later this spring when I'm done using it to feed the birds.
07/01/2011 at 19:51
I have a tree in a pot that I bought for £10 last year...survived the whole year being blown around the garden in its pot ...hehehe. brought it in this year and it looked beautiful with all the decorations, it was also twice the size it was when I bought it. I hope it lasts till next year. It felt good not having to pay out for a tree this year...I recommend to anyone to get a potted tree... :)
09/01/2011 at 20:29
I manage a garden centre in Middlesbrough called plantarama, ive suggested to our customers to strip the branches of xmas tree and stack the to decompose in the corner of there garden and the main branch can be cut up into logs and stacked up again in the garden to form a nest for insects. I made a vidio , can be viewed on youtube , just type plantarama, called recycle xmas tree
19/09/2011 at 10:06
Thanks for sharing us this info. You have given me an idea on what to do with my old Christmas tree. Good Job!
28/11/2011 at 18:42
Seems like fake plastic trees are the best way forward these days all things considered, but not quite the same somehow...
email image
20 messages