Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Wild garlic

I am still waiting for our wild garlic to grow in the woods. I love eating wild garlic raw - lovely on toast or just on their own or in a salad as the taste is so much milder than garlic cloves.

• oldchippyoldchippy Posts: 244
    I thought wild plants were protected against being picked,maybe I'm wrong!!!
  • SwissSueSwissSue Posts: 1,447

The way wild garlic spreads, I doubt if someone picking a few leaves will do any harm!image

• CharleyDCharleyD Posts: 440

Not sure about UK law but Manx law states that you can pick wild flowers etc but not dig them up.  I agree with Swiss Sue though, I think trying to stop it spreading is more of a problem. 

• atwaydapatwaydap Posts: 4
    I have a garlic smelling plant in my garden but the leaves are more like onions. Is it a relative? It is very invasive & has small white bulbs .
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

atway, are the leaves quite broad and about 15cm tall? If it is wild garlic, it is apparently invasive; I keep it in check by planting it in a hole in horticultural membrane covered in pea shingle. Will post photo 2morrow if you likeimage

• I have a similar plant growing in the garden but the leaves are more like a chive (narrow instead of broad) can I still use the plant to cook with?
  • SherekatSherekat Posts: 1
    I am really lucky as the woods just 3 minutes walk from my house are completely full of wild garlic and I don't think many of the locals even know what it is, so I can harvest as much of it as I can carry. Delicious wrapped around a piece of salmon and then made into an en-croute dish with puff pastry.
  • DianaWDianaW Posts: 62
    The small white allium bulbs which I (perhaps unwisely) planted many years ago have proliferated madly since then. I've got to dig them out to clear the space for something else and would love to use the resulting greenery in the kitchen, rather than just dumping it in the compost heap, but I wasn't sure if they're edible.

I know they're not lily-of-the-valley or arum lilies but are all these alliums good to eat?
  • jatnikapyarjatnikapyar Posts: 419

Yes, Google "wild Garlic", you'll be pleasantly surprisedimage

• jatnikapyarjatnikapyar Posts: 419

Apologies for a second reply but I had to ask my friend who introduced me to Wild Garlic.

The law apparently is that we can pick the leaves, and you need a lot of them if you want to use them as food. We are not allowed to dig up plants from woods. She, like me grows a lot of it and got her plants on line from "Jekka Herbs"at great expense as the postage was as much as the 4 plants she received!! I thought it was a joke as they are soooo easy to grow and multiply before your eyes!!

The garlicky smelling plants with small onion like white bulbs with leaves similar to spring onions are Chives. They have lilac flowers on a stalk like a lollypop. And yes, you can eat them. The flowers are delicious in salads.

There is a similar herb with white flowers but flat chive like leaves which is used in stir fries called "Chinese Chives"

For more details, the RHS herb site is excellent.

I hope this was helpful and enjoy growing and eating them image