London (change)
Today 12°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 6°C
1 to 20 of 22 messages
23/04/2014 at 12:49
I am still waiting for our wild garlic to grow in the woods. I love eating wild garlic raw - lovely on toast or just on their own or in a salad as the taste is so much milder than garlic cloves.
23/04/2014 at 17:45
I thought wild plants were protected against being picked,maybe I'm wrong!!!
23/04/2014 at 18:27

The way wild garlic spreads, I doubt if someone picking a few leaves will do any harm!

23/04/2014 at 19:16

Not sure about UK law but Manx law states that you can pick wild flowers etc but not dig them up.  I agree with Swiss Sue though, I think trying to stop it spreading is more of a problem. 

Edd
23/04/2014 at 19:21

OK. New pallet have been acquired from round the corner, now and back home with extra weigh in clothes. Photos to follow as its a new pallet and a bit different. The good thing is its as clean as a whistle and there is another one to pick up.

The construction is different and i'm thinking this would be better off on the pallet thread.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/43277.jpg?width=274&height=350&mode=max

Look keen as a whistle.

Look closer ?

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/43279.jpg?width=274&height=350&mode=max

Huge staples. They are hard to get out!!!

OH. hello, what is this???

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/43280.jpg?width=274&height=350&mode=max

Is that chip board inbetween!!!!! It must be so hard to cut through, and leave me with all those clean boards. 

Lets pray for many more.

Regards

Edd.

Pics of new outside chair/ couch  to come. Its just not completed yes so bear with me please. I went with the same colour as Doves new fence. The only problem is i can only get small left over quantities for free and will have to save it all up. (thing it was sea grass green) lovely colour when i get there. Thanks Dove.

Kind regards.

Edd.

23/04/2014 at 20:41
I have a garlic smelling plant in my garden but the leaves are more like onions. Is it a relative? It is very invasive & has small white bulbs .
23/04/2014 at 20:53

atway, are the leaves quite broad and about 15cm tall? If it is wild garlic, it is apparently invasive; I keep it in check by planting it in a hole in horticultural membrane covered in pea shingle. Will post photo 2morrow if you like

24/04/2014 at 19:36
I have a similar plant growing in the garden but the leaves are more like a chive (narrow instead of broad) can I still use the plant to cook with?
24/04/2014 at 21:59
I am really lucky as the woods just 3 minutes walk from my house are completely full of wild garlic and I don't think many of the locals even know what it is, so I can harvest as much of it as I can carry. Delicious wrapped around a piece of salmon and then made into an en-croute dish with puff pastry.
25/04/2014 at 12:20
The small white allium bulbs which I (perhaps unwisely) planted many years ago have proliferated madly since then. I've got to dig them out to clear the space for something else and would love to use the resulting greenery in the kitchen, rather than just dumping it in the compost heap, but I wasn't sure if they're edible.
I know they're not lily-of-the-valley or arum lilies but are all these alliums good to eat?
25/04/2014 at 12:37

Yes, Google "wild Garlic", you'll be pleasantly surprised

25/04/2014 at 14:13

Apologies for a second reply but I had to ask my friend who introduced me to Wild Garlic.

The law apparently is that we can pick the leaves, and you need a lot of them if you want to use them as food. We are not allowed to dig up plants from woods. She, like me grows a lot of it and got her plants on line from "Jekka Herbs"at great expense as the postage was as much as the 4 plants she received!! I thought it was a joke as they are soooo easy to grow and multiply before your eyes!!

The garlicky smelling plants with small onion like white bulbs with leaves similar to spring onions are Chives. They have lilac flowers on a stalk like a lollypop. And yes, you can eat them. The flowers are delicious in salads.

There is a similar herb with white flowers but flat chive like leaves which is used in stir fries called "Chinese Chives"

For more details, the RHS herb site is excellent.

I hope this was helpful and enjoy growing and eating them

26/04/2014 at 18:11
1.8kg of nettles? thats a lot
26/04/2014 at 18:17
1.7kg = 3lb 11.966oz
01/05/2014 at 20:43
If you are trying to salvage the timber, I use an angle grinder with a diamond disc to cut through the annular nails. with regards to ransoms as they are poisonous to dogs I tried to remove by digging and using glyphosate to eradicate them but like the cat in the song they came back.
05/05/2014 at 13:02
I planted some bulbs last year and they have come up this year, really pleased as it is my first attempt. Not a very strong flavour but I assume it is because they are still quite young. Something is eating them though, slugs no doubt.
06/05/2014 at 10:18

Lulla, I'm pleased to hear that your plants have come up. Slugs do not generally like them, but do attack alliums. Try a copper ring if the WG is in a pot, if not a few pellets will help,although I try not to use them.WG does have a milder flavour and does not have the strong odour the next day either

06/05/2014 at 20:24

jatnikapyar wrote (see)

Lulla, I'm pleased to hear that your plants have come up. Slugs do not generally like them, but do attack alliums. Try a copper ring if the WG is in a pot, if not a few pellets will help,although I try not to use them.WG does have a milder flavour and does not have the strong odour the next day either

I planted them straight into the ground, some in shade and some in part shade just to see which works best. I may have to try pellets. We first tried wild garlic soup a couple of years ago whilst in Switzerland, very strong and delicious so we decided to try to grow it ourselves. 

07/05/2014 at 09:33

There is a lot you can do with WG Lullabelle, try Googling WG. You'll be surprised.

07/05/2014 at 22:20
jatnikapyar wrote (see)

There is a lot you can do with WG Lullabelle, try Googling WG. You'll be surprised.

I will definitely google recipes  

1 to 20 of 22 messages