London (change)
Today 12°C / 7°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 7°C
19 messages
22/11/2013 at 13:45
I still have flower on my Hebe and the Mahonia has just started to flower I haven't seen any flower on the Hellebore yet. Oldchippy.
22/11/2013 at 14:00

Are you still seeing bumblebees O ldchippy?  I haven't seen any since the

first frost here and I don't think I have any hibernating in my bee box .

22/11/2013 at 16:23

I think you ll find hibernate in winter.

22/11/2013 at 21:17

Thanks Flowering Rose.....Thought I'd sent this earlier to you....too

much red wine again!!

22/11/2013 at 23:12
This spring the bumbles appreciated the mahonia aquifolium. What I have also seen in the past is that blue tits are attracted to some (not all) Mahonia x media types. I think they also are taking advantage.

Talking of frosts - minus 5 this evening, sparkly brrrrr. I wonder when the redwings and fieldfares will arrive.

What is still flowering in the garden? Nothing, bar some violas. The frosts will nip back their flowers, but they'll produce odd blooms in milder spells. The rest is being reduced to structural bones. The larch has shed the vast majority of its needles, the beech has lost most of its leaves. The birches cling to a few yellowing leaves, the berberis leaves are taking on a deeper hue of red so there is still colour scattered around.
23/11/2013 at 06:40

Not much in flower now although I did see a small bumble bee yesterday. There were quite a few queen wasps yesterday too looking for somewhere to hibernate. The favourite plant for early bees( I saw one in January this year) is the winter flowering honeysuckle (lonicera fragrantissima). Bullfinches destroy the flowers but it's lovely to see those too.

KEF
23/11/2013 at 08:34

My hellebore Winter Bells has three flowers on.

Not seen any bumblebees for a couple of weeks. Seen the occasional wasp. 

Still got flowers on Scabiosa Barocca, but no insects bothering with it.

Mahonia Charity is full of flowers, but not in an accessible place for me to check out wildlife. The birds are going down the feeders rapidly so I think they currently prefer a "ready meal" rather than finding their own. 

23/11/2013 at 16:55

Bess will come out to feed any time the weather is warm enough - some are still around now when the sun shines. Ivy is an important food plant for them at the moment. I've also seen bees on the white flowers of Fatsia, and in the clematis (Freckles). It's surprising what they can find at any time of year.

24/11/2013 at 14:44

Fascinating about the change in habits of bumblebee- must have a good look if we get a nice day. I have mahonia, viburnum bodnantense and fragrans and coronilla in full flower and other small bits and pieces hanging on

02/01/2014 at 18:34

I have also been thinking about these delightful bees and planning for a Spring garden which my garden has somewhat lacked until now!

I have started with several types of crocus all known for early pollen and planted the bulbs under my lawn alongside Snakes Head Fritillaries, about 300 bulbs if memory serves me right!

Camassia is another early flowering bulb which Spring Bumblebees will feed on, so again I have planted plenty of bulbs around our garden which stays wet through winter but dries rock hard in summer. This is actually good conditions for Camassia so they should hopefully naturalise given time I hope. Again I have planted three different varieties to try and establish the best one for bees.

My winter garden has now highlighted a few gaps which will need filing so I will take a few tips from here to see what I can stick in!

Best

Higgy

http://higgysgardenproject.blogspot.co.uk/

02/01/2014 at 18:47

Nice blog higgy

I recommend Pulmonaria rubra for early bees. It's in flower already and will still be flowering when the other pulmonarias open up.

04/01/2014 at 06:56

Liked your blog too, Higgy.

I saw a bee two days ago on the winter flowering honeysuckle. The bees loved it last year too  and I often saw them on sunny days in the winter. Bullfinches were attracted to it too last year and stripped every flower off but it was good to see them too.

04/01/2014 at 10:16

Thank you so much for the kind words nutcutlet and Pam they are appreciated.

As you will have guessed I am a bit passionate about the wildlife that visits and resides in the garden and always find the discovery of new residents somehow flattering!

Nutcutlet, Thanks the tip with the Pulmonarias, I have been attempting to find some for my Spring time garden and will keep Rubra in mind. My biggest problem is actually trying to find somewhere that sells them for a reasonable price as my recent searches on the internet turn up expensive plants with an extra large charge for posting!

Do you have any ideas where I can find Rubra and buy a few of them without needing to take out a second mortgage?

Best

Higgy

04/01/2014 at 10:23
04/01/2014 at 13:34

Brilliant, thanks I'll have a look at this but ebay only threw up a few when I searched yesterday and they were expensive with the same again on top for postage!

I'll have a look via this link anyway

Best

Higgy

04/01/2014 at 13:36

Thanks Nutcutlet, I just bought their last plant!!

04/01/2014 at 14:00

Nice timing higgy

04/01/2014 at 17:33

We have two mahonias, a chimonanthes, two lonicera fragrantissima which sustain quite a few bumble bees (and other small bees) through most of the winter.  It's great seeing them scrambling round the lonicera which are right outside the back door.

04/01/2014 at 17:44

Rosemary, I grew chimonanthus from seed, years ago, still waiting for a flower. Is it always out right in the middle of winter or is this early?

I have nothing looking like swelling flower buds, I wonder if it will ever flower.

email image
19 messages