London (change)
Today 11°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
8 messages
14/02/2014 at 00:33

Just a thought.  Many members have posted much about seed sowing etc.  Thank you.  I have also noticed that several have mentioned that their spuds are sprouting, 'chitting'.  So folks.  When it comes to the actual planting.  How do you go about it?  OK some have large gardens, others have allottments.  I wonder.  Having dug over and prepared the plot.  Do you ridge up and then plant each spud in a hole, or do you plant following preparation, the spuds.  Then gradually ridge up as growth develops.

14/02/2014 at 06:44
I have used both methods depending on how much time I have. I have a mattock which I use to make the ridges or to do the initial earthing up. I do find that the growth often goes sideways out of the side of the ridge which can be annoying. After the planting or the initial earthing up I then earth up using grass clippings as I have access to a large amount of this. This stops the potatoes going green and makes for an easier harvest. I suspect that yield may be affected though but I am generally happy with what I get and the back doesn't ache as much... Of course the grass clippings also gets incorporated into the soil by worms and when harvesting - a win/win situation.
14/02/2014 at 07:37

I drop each spud in a deep hole then slightly earth up, then as growth shows, earth up more.

14/02/2014 at 19:21

I form ridges and furrows. Plant the seeds in the furrows and cover seed with every secon ridge. Every other is used to earth up when sprouts are 6 to 8 inches tall.

14/02/2014 at 19:46

I use a method similar to what No expert does.

14/02/2014 at 19:50

That was how my late dad sowed the spuds at home in his garden. Old ways are nearly always best.

14/02/2014 at 19:54

remember as  a kid in the early 60s with my late dad. earthing up spuds with my triang weelborrow 

14/02/2014 at 20:41

I always dig & plant...I place them in the trench as I am digging, then throw the soil forward to cover them.

email image
8 messages