London (change)
Today 24°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 16°C
14 messages
02/07/2012 at 20:15
Hi I have been going to GW live for the past 5 years or so including this year. However I fancied going somewhere else and Tatton park is just up the motorway ( I live in Yorkshire). What I was wondering has anyone been there previous years, and is it any good. I dont really want to pay out for the tickets to find that there is not a lot there. When I go to the shows I like to see a couple of show gardens, I love the plant marquee ( is there lots of plant choice) and I like all the other garden stalls. Compared to GW live is it on par or better or worse, thanks in advance.
02/07/2012 at 20:49

I went 2 years ago with friends. We loved it, in fact we're going again this year. The plant marquee was very good and we came away with a boot full of plants and seeds. Last year we went to the GW show which was also excellent. Tatton is smaller, but if you have time you can take in the gardens too. Fingers crossed for good weather!

03/07/2012 at 08:28

We visited Tatton Park a few years ago and thought it was excellent.A good mix of show gardens, floral displays and ofcourse shopping for all those plants you can't readily buy at garden centres. A lot of the growers do mail order.     Hope you have a nice day if you decide to go, take a picnic and it goes without saying same comfy shoes, there's a lot of walking involved!. Hope the sun shines for you.

03/07/2012 at 12:33
I've been to Tatton Park Flower show a few times and it's very big, loads of show gardens, floral displays, plant marquees and loads to buy (plants and other garden features).

Manchester airport isn't far away and you'll see all the planes and different airlines taking off, thought I'd mention if there's anyone onto that.

As long as the weather is good, you'll have a great day
03/07/2012 at 21:25
Thanks everyone sounds very good, think I will give it a try. Better get a good umbrella because let's face it I don't think it will stay dry all day.
03/07/2012 at 22:27

Hi Folks.  The four-legged lawnmowers (sheep and deer) have been moved off the showground to pastures new.  25acres has been fenced; quite a logistic feat with the metal fencing, methinks.  The showground is a hive of activity: machines and people buzzing around, the skeletons of marquees are going up and being clothed.  The large show gardens round the Tatton Clump are emulating moles at the moment.   Plants are being cossetted and primped.  The excitement mounts.

04/07/2012 at 22:29

Can't wait now. All sounds wonderful!! I know there's a rain dance. Is there an anti-rain dance? If so everybody start doing it now.. well maybe tomorrow as it's bedtime now

15/07/2012 at 16:59

I think I may give Tatton Park a try this year too, it sounds good !

16/07/2012 at 23:14

I'm so envious, never been to a garden show before and checked Tatton Park out after reading this thread. Couldn't persuade anyone to pay out the price of entry... gardening isn't everyones interest...and it's only an hour down the M6 from here...   

Big brother and OH would have gone but they're in Rochdale for the weekend...

17/07/2012 at 11:48

Am going tomorrow on RHS day & the forecast is AWFUL! 3 pairs of wellies at the ready & waterproof trousers a possibility.

Show gardens, small back to back gardens- lots of ideas there for your own average sized plot. Usually a couple of plant marquees with lots to buy, plus the plant plaza where there are smaller stands from lots of nurseries all with plants to buy. Their little displays are usually excellent too.

Bedding plant displays/gardens from local authorities.

Country Living pavillion too for those more interested in foods, pictures, jewelry etc etc. Am on the look out for a soil coloured sunhat!

Flower arranging displays also, again if people interested.

Have an increasing list of 'wants'. The plant creche is well used by most people & takes all sorts too not just plants.

Oh yes, often displays from greenhouse suppliers, tools etc with good show discounts, gloves & other garden sundries too.

Lost count of the times been, 8? Never been to GW live, so cant compare. Been to Malvern Autumn show in past, that felt smaller than Tatton IMO. J.

17/07/2012 at 19:30
Thanks for info have a great day I'm going at the weekend.
17/07/2012 at 21:22

Having seen the local NWest weather forecast for tomorrow, think you'll have better weather than us. You may still need good waterproof footwear though, as even the inside of the marquees can get muddy.Plus getting into the show ground from your carpark- which is on grass btw.

Picnic goodies purchased, but shall also be full of fudge, chocolate, olives etc etc!

18/07/2012 at 21:24

Update- weather was the complete opposite of forecast! We'd have coped with walking shoes/boots after all.

OH, on his first visit, took lots of pics so I can study them at my leisure & try out some of the ideas/plantings- well that's the plan.

Lots of lovely plants & displays. Was quite restrained in my purchases, but then knew what I needed & what likely to suceed with.

Verdict- well worth a visit. J.

21/07/2012 at 20:32
Well just got back from a wonderful day out, well worth it. Thanks to everyone for their comments they made my mind up for me to go. Even though I'm
nearly falling asleep on the sofa, I'm already looking forward to next year.
email image
14 messages