London (change)
Today 12°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 6°C
21 to 40 of 72 messages
29/09/2012 at 07:35
gardenmad2 wrote (see)

is it any good on wicken grass ?????

Wicken is something that some of us refer to as couch grass, and it has a lot of other names too.

Roundup gel will kill anything that is green and growing. When a few people say that it doesn't work, that is because they have not followed the instructions, or have not read the numerous posts on here saying that it takes a long time to work, and are being far too impatient. If you want to do the job properly you need to be patient.

I've tried this product on several different plants, ranging from brambles to reeds, and it has always been successful.

I haven't actually used it to get rid of couch grass, but I believe that it would work. The difficulty would be applying the product to the individual stems of grass. This could be done by resting a stem against the palm of a gloved hand, and brushing the gel onto the stem using the free hand (that's how I applied it to reeds). It would be very tedious if you have a lot of couch grass, but it will succeed.

The speed that Roundup works is dependent on sunlight levels and growth rates. Now would not be the most effective time to apply, but you could still give it a try.

29/09/2012 at 10:07

Bought this dab it on gel and found it very hard to apply. Some dandelions had seeded themselves in my asparagus and i needed to be careful with the weedkiller and thought this was a good idea. Was better when i left pot udside down for a few minutes before using it. Put it on plants about 5 weeks ago and only just seeing the dandelion die down. Very expensive and i did wonder if all the rain we had might have washed it off.

28/04/2013 at 07:48

Roundup Gel is so weak it's only 0.7% Glyphosate.  Less than you normally use in a spray mix.

28/04/2013 at 08:01

I swear by verdone.....it's brilliant. Spray the weed and it encourages the weed to grow that fast that in doing so it kills itself. Spray directly on to weeds in the grass and it doesn't touch the grass. It really is amazing and much better than anything else I've tried. You have to spray the weed whilst it has good leaf growth and when dry....

03/05/2013 at 11:54

I'm going to give it a try - after reading the posts here.  Yours were extremely helpful Gary.  I inherited a huge area of around 100 x blueberry bushes and 50 x raspberries.  It was backbreaking getting them into shape after years of neglect but the dreaded nettles still have a stronghold.  If this targets the weed and leaves the root of the fruits alone I'll be delighted.  I'll report back. 

03/05/2013 at 12:23

Maggie I don't rate Roundup of any kind -I find Resolva much more efficient. It's dearer but really works quickly. With the kind of problem you've got it might be worth investing in it, as you could just leave the most important areas and target the really bad bits. 

03/05/2013 at 12:30

Thanks Fairygirl!  I'll look into that too.......  but is it something you target on like a gel?  As the nettles grow prolifically in between the branches of the blueberries and the rasp canes.....  I couldn't risk using a spray or I'd hit the fruit. 

For other areas on the farm I use Clinic Ace which is very effective but vicious and needs to be used with caution.  Cheers!

03/05/2013 at 12:32

Not sure if they do a gel - I've used the bottle that you dilute. They do it in a spray and we just decanted it into them for bits around patio or in gravel.

03/05/2013 at 12:37

I used Round up gel last year when I had bind weed winding through a group of clematis.  Obviously spraying was out. Initially I thought it hadn't worked but It took longer than I thought but it completely cleared it and my clematis were intact

10/05/2013 at 16:24

Not impressed with the Roundup gel at all,  after 2 weeks my dandylions are starting to look like sunflowers, perhaps they should rename it Sanatagen gel, sorry about the spelling.

10/05/2013 at 17:03

Roundup gel may be new but there was tumbleweed gel years ago. All glyphosate as far as I remember. Useful for those dandelions deep inside something else but it would take a long time to de-weed a garden.

10/05/2013 at 19:18

I'm very worried about round up gel.  If, as it says in the adverts, just a dab on a leaf kills the weed, and, as not mentioned in the advert but written on the bottle, it should be kept away from pets and children, how safe is it really to use in our gardens?  A caterpillar, a natural food source for nesting birds, would presumably be infected and consequently the bird and its offspring could be poisoned not to mention wild rabbits etc.  I realise weedkiller in general has the same effect but somehow this sounds more potent. Shouldn't we all be using something more wildlife friendly! 

10/05/2013 at 21:08

Glyphosate is about the safest of the killers but not using any must be better.

10/05/2013 at 22:02

WELL SAID  twig,

After reading all of these posts i was thinking are you covering up the poisoned

plants after application ?

As any thing that comes into contact with the poison will be effected.

be it wild life or PET .

search ----Herbicides- pesticides and CANCERS

11/05/2013 at 06:51

I have (last year) used glyphosate successfully to remove couch grass from MIL's garden. I had glyphosate in an old window cleaner sprayer, and, armed with a pair of rubber gloves and a bucket, I have gone to each clump, sprayed a bit of glyphosate onto the ends of two fingers on my right hand, held over the bucket to avoid drips, and shaken my hand to remove any last drops so the glove is just wet. I have then rubbed some leaves of the grass bwtween my fingers  (no need to cover them all - a 25% coverage is enough), and then moved on to the next clump. 

It needs 5 days or so before the effect is obvious. 

11/05/2013 at 08:57

If you're worried about the effects of this product and it's impact on wildlife. Worry more about what happens to the plastic container once you discard it.

This simple plastic container will kill more wildlife, than the gel inside.

11/05/2013 at 09:06

marshm- I've often thought that myself. I always try and rinse it out but of course it's going down drain, but at least it's well diluted by the time it gets anywhere. I only use it when it's really necessary - dandelions are a real problem in domestic gardens, especially as they get into every little tight spot, and not evryone looks after their plot either 

Gold1locks-that sounds like a very efficient method, time consuming though!

12/05/2013 at 09:27

I have been dabbing roundup on all the dandelions in my garden for the last two weeks and up to now they are all doing very well thank you.To date this product has not killed a single plant to say I'm a bit disappointed is an under statement

13/05/2013 at 08:56

I to have paid £8 on the so called weed killer after strugling to get it onto the weeds i waited and waited then got my  "Grandpas Weeder " out of the shed and got the weeds out with that  omplete waste of money

13/05/2013 at 11:57

I'm utterly amazed that anybody in their right mind would want to use this stuff.  And in gardens?!!  You must all be mad -- have you read any of the research on what's in it, and what it's likely to do to you and to your garden soil?  Or is anything permissible in the grand cause of tidiness?

21 to 40 of 72 messages