London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 10°C
41 to 60 of 72 messages
13/05/2013 at 15:03

Hello lion4

What does it do to the soil..or to me?  I understood glyphosate is inactivated in the soil, doesn't translocate to other plants and is harmless to wildlife.  

In bygone days the chemicals used were highly toxic.

For me the use of glyphosate is occasional and sparing.  The odd weed in the path etc. It's use is to eradicate perennial weeds

13/05/2013 at 15:12

Hello lion4

What does it do to the soil..or to me?  I understood glyphosate is inactivated in the soil, doesn't translocate to other plants and is harmless to wildlife.  

In bygone days the chemicals used were highly toxic.

For me the use of glyphosate is occasional and sparing.  The odd weed in the path etc. It's use is to eradicate perennial weeds and once gone just to hand weed the annual stuff.  I don't use chemicals in the garden or use artificial fertilisers.  Slug pellets are used very, very sparingly.....my main control is torch and saline solution.

It's very difficult to grow the plants we want without access to some sort of weedkiller now and then.  It's not about "tidyness" at all..it's about growing a nice and healthy garden.  Thats allowable I think. 

That roundup gel is not brilliant.  Tried it but it's not as good as the old glyphosate in a bottle with a built in brush

13/05/2013 at 15:15

Sorry got distracted and my post was prematurely sent.  So repeated myself a little there........

13/05/2013 at 15:21

Verd...coat....

13/05/2013 at 16:30

Sorry fFairygirl

Wont do it again.....promise. (ha ha)

21/05/2013 at 20:43

Hi, Yes I have tried the Roundup gel and it was absolutely useless.  I tried it on our drive on various size of weeds and it did not work on any - waste of money!!

27/05/2013 at 18:31

I used Roundup gel last September, probably not the best time, on bindweed that had established itself strongly in a border.  Clearly there was some die back but then it was autumn and everything was dying back so I wasn't sure how effective it had been.  This year there is no sign of any bindweed in that border at all.  Brilliant stuff !  Anyone wis says it doesn't work hasn't applied it properly.

27/05/2013 at 20:05

Applying it properly is the problem, though, because it is hard to tell whether enough has come out through the applicator. It does work - but it takes a few weeks. I find it clumsy and would prefer a brush, like Verdun.

27/05/2013 at 21:21

There is some evidence emerging that it is not as inactivated in the soil as Monsanto claim. The answer to that is simple, don't waste it by spraying it on the soil.

28/05/2013 at 20:40

MONSANTO !!!!!!! ........   they have been known to lie!

American tests have proven that pesticides and herbicides

are a danger to children, pets and bees!

for much longer than stated by the maker.

01/06/2013 at 19:46

How does anyone get it out of the container in the first place? None seems to have come out of our at all

01/06/2013 at 21:04

I don't rate Roundup at all.By the time it starts to work 200 more weeds have appeared. If you use it on dandelions the foliage dies down so slowly that the flowers have already grown and flowered 

07/07/2013 at 12:27

I bought two containers of Roundup Gel - one for me and one for my neighbour. We are both disappointed with results in spite of applying as per instructions. Both of us have not had any weeds killed by the product. I am writing to Monsanto to tell them, but knowing that monstrous multinational I doubt I will hear anything.

10/08/2013 at 19:20

I think Roundup Gel is terrific.  I have used it particularly on dandelions in the lawn and in the flowerbeds and have an almost dandelion free garden.  I would recommend it to anyone.  It is a handy size, smalll enough to go in a pocket so that as you walk round the garden you can quickly and easily apply it to the leaves.  I haven't tried it on bindweed but plan to do so soon.

23/10/2013 at 13:04

Hi...  I'm new to this, so bear with me.... I would like to know if it works on bamboo ? As I have tried everything and still the new shoots are growing!

Many thanks

23/10/2013 at 13:16

You'll have to grit your teeth and dig it out Valerie 

Don't think anything will work on it apart from brute force. If it's the type that runs and it likes where it's growing you're always going to struggle with it. At my last house the previous owners had planted one in a strange little group of plants next to the field which backed onto us. It wasn't an issue because we just mowed round it to keep it under control.

23/10/2013 at 18:40

I have used it with some success on dandelions on my lawn, but must add to what others have said that it is hard to tell if you've put on enough and if it is working. So, you put on more, yes I know I'm impatient, but then it bleeds off and kills a small bit of surrounding grass. Very frustrating, but, if you can cope with waiting, and pull off any flowers that may occur, it does work and the plants do die.  

Also agree with fairy re the bamboo Valerie, , get your spade and saw out: invite your friends and family round and have a bamboo party!  Enjoy! 

24/10/2013 at 07:40

Thank you Fairygirl..... Its not the news I wanted to hear but I guess your right.

Its growing next to my fish pond, and i'm frightened its going to puncture the rubber lining. Probably too big a job for roundup gel

24/10/2013 at 07:53

That's a shame Valerie. I think you're right to try and get it out if you have a pond there. It would be horrible to lose that. I don't think weedkillers work on them at all, but I've often wondered if the flame gun thingies would be effective if you cut the stalks down and did it a few times.  I expect it would depend on the surroundings and how often it was done, and even then I don't  know if it would be successful.

That wasn't very conclusive was it! 

24/10/2013 at 10:03

Surely any plant only has a certain amount of stored energy? If it not able to make more, it would die eventually. So maybe just 'starve' the bamboo?

41 to 60 of 72 messages