London (change)
Today 24°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 16°C
61 to 72 of 72 messages
24/10/2013 at 11:57

Thank you both for taking the time to answer ... I watched a clip on youtube and apparently you have to cut it down low, and you have 15 seconds to get the poison in !!! it seems the bamboo is so clever that it knows you have cut it down, and immediately closes down that shoot and sends another new one somewhere else! so you have to out smart it Who knew !

pjt
29/10/2013 at 14:04

I also tried this product with no success at all.  When I contacted the makers they assured me that they never produce a bad batch!!  Mention a refund and again must be my fault, or wrong type of weed.  Have now binned it.

16/05/2014 at 20:09

I used this product about 2 months ago and as promised, the weeds died, but unfortunately so has the grass around them! I treated around 40 dandilions on my front lawn (we had just moved in) only to find 2 weeks later that we had 40 brown rings where there were once green weeds! Think the weeds looked better!

Does anyone know whether the grass will recover or whether I should re-seed?

I'm new to gardening - must have caught the grass when dabbing the weeds with the gel (it doesn't specifically say it will kill the grass if it touches it - I bought it because it said it could be used on lawns)

any help appreciated before i fore I start to rake it up and use Patch Magic!

jenny

16/05/2014 at 20:23

Roundup gel kills what it touches, no recovery.

16/05/2014 at 21:08

Thanks nutcutlet,

That's what I feared... My next question is that since my weed killing faux-par we've signed up to a lawn treatment programme which includes an aeration and scarification in the autumn (we have lots of moss). Would it be best to wait until after that to re-seed the patches? Or would we benefit from patching it now?

Thanks

16/05/2014 at 21:13

I don't think I'm the person to ask Jenny. I have grass and I like the clover, daisies, speedwell, dandelions etc. They're what keeps my lawn green in summer

16/05/2014 at 21:41

Hi JennyMc,

I'd re-seed now, as grass grows really quickly in the summer and you probably don't want to be looking at the brown patches. I wouldn't bother with Patch Magic though, just buy small packet of ordinary lawn seed and mix with some compost.

You might have to do a re-seed after the autumn scarification though, but that's not a problem.  We've had the lawn treatment programme for the last 2-3 years and it's brilliant, a very green lawn, not a weed in sight, saves a lot of time and effort - worth every penny! The scarification bit makes it look very scraggy and horrifying for a bit but it soon picks up again.

16/05/2014 at 21:42

Going back to the Roundup Gel, I found it's useless as I can't get any out. I can't even get the top off to stick a brush in it - has anybody else tried?

16/05/2014 at 21:47

Lizzie - it has a clicker on the bottom - but i haven't found it very good even when i can get the gel out.  Don't like using sprays, as they are indiscriminate.... So i am back to the daisy grubber

17/05/2014 at 16:20
17/05/2014 at 21:19

Thanks Chicky, I keep trying the clicker button but still nothing comes out - think I'll try puncturing it and pouring the gel into another bottle. Can't waste £8 odd!

25/05/2014 at 12:00

I have found roundup gel works well.  Great for weeds in between flowers, just a dab really does the trick.  It does take a while but while it is working it gives you time to do other work. Initially I was impatient, and kept looking at the progress, but as you know watching will not speed up the inevitable.

email image
61 to 72 of 72 messages