London (change)
Today 12°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 6°C
1 to 20 of 72 messages
22/05/2012 at 19:30

Hello - has anyone else tried that new gel that is advertised on tv?  The one where you are meant to simply dab the leaf of a weed and then it's meant to kill said weed right down to the root?  I've paid over £8 for this stuff and it hasn't worked on any of the various weeds I've tried it on.  Bad bottle maybe, or has anyone else been disappointed with the results?

22/05/2012 at 19:41

I haven't tried that paticular product, though I have seen it advertised.

With normal Roundup, sprayed on, it does take quite a long while to take effect, possibly several weeks. Roundup works faster in warm weather. It's quite possible to think that it hasn't worked, when all that is required is patience.

I don't know how much of the plant surface needs to be covered with the roll-on version. But if you've followed the instructions correctly, then it ought to work.

Roundup is normally very effective.

22/05/2012 at 19:44

Thanks Gary - yes maybe I should be a little more patient.  I applied it a week ago - says it takes up to 7 days but the weeds look sooo healthy!  In contrast to this, I bought some standard weed and feed from Wilkinsons (own brand) and it's worked wonders in the space of 3 days!  Good old Wilkos.

22/05/2012 at 21:24

Roundup works by effectively making the plant overgrow initially, so your weeds sound about right after a week.

22/05/2012 at 23:06

The main issue I have with it is the size of the spreader. I've been using it on some bindweed which is growing in between plants. It's far more difficult than using the brush that used to come with the old type of Glyphosate Gel. A smaller spreader or an additional smaller size would have been better - not sure what was wrong with the brush anyway. I bought mine in Wilkinson's for £6.50. As Alina says it works by promoting excessive growth but will evenutally kill the plant

23/05/2012 at 20:13

My conclusion from reading the latest reviews on the product, its taking a lot longer to work then it says on the instructions.

14/06/2012 at 23:22
14/06/2012 at 23:36
Roundup is most effective when weeds are been and growing, so the temperature and humidity can effect how long it takes to work. Another factor to consider is the size and type of weed. Larger perennial weeds with deeper roots will take longer than small annuals. Another point to note is that Roundup gel doesn't include that fast acting formula that is in the ready to spray Roundup, so it may appear to be taking longer, as will the Roundup concentrates that you mix up yourself. But be patient, Roundup will work eventually and depending on the temperature, humidity and size of the weed and it's roots, the kill should take between 7 and 21 days. Happy weeding.
02/07/2012 at 13:58

I have the same problem as others here.  I paid £8.99 for Roundup gel and we have used up almost the whole lot on bindweed and thistles around the garden.  10 days in and the weeds are looking really healthy.  No sign of dying and the leaves that were treated with the Roundup just have a healthy gloss on them.  I'm trying to remain patient and hoping it will work - while my bindweed strangles my expensive garden plants.

02/07/2012 at 15:08

I bought some Roundup gel shortly after this thread first started, about 6 weeks ago. I had a bramble growing up through some foxgloves, and thought this gel might be the only way to deal with the problem, short of killing the foxgloves.

I applied the gel. It leaves a shiny film on the leaves, so you can see where it has been applied. I thought nothing was happening - for weeks. I've used ordinary Roundup before, and know that it takes a long while to act. 6 weeks on, the bramble is now about 80% dead, and is showing no sign of further growth. Mind you, the foxgloves have almost finished flowering.

Ordinary Roundup does work a lot faster in warm sunny weather, so I might have achieved quicker results if the weather had been better than it has been.

I actually bought mine from my local supermarket. I noticed last week that it was on sale for £6 per carton.

03/07/2012 at 17:41

I bought this product but find it almost impossible to get it onto the leaf I have in mind without touching any others in my crowded garden. I'm wondering if I could adapt it and use a brush.

03/07/2012 at 19:50
Gardening Grandma wrote (see)

..I'm wondering if I could adapt it and use a brush.

It will work however you apply it. I'm not sure if it would simply stick to a brush and not adhere to the leaves. Try it. A little spatula would do. But be careful of getting the stuff on your fingers. I'd wear gloves.

04/07/2012 at 19:13

Good idea re the spatula. Thanks

31/07/2012 at 10:16

It hasn't worked for me either.  I paid £9 for it and applied it about a month ago. I wonder if it is on sale because it is coming off the market. What is the point in having a product that is easy to use if it doesn't work?

31/07/2012 at 10:46
Loquats wrote (see)

... applied it about a month ago...

You may simply be too impatient! As I explained in a message just above, it took about 6 weeks for mine to work.

I've also used it on two other plants since then. One is showing distinct signs of yellowing; the other is, as yet, unchanged, but I have no reason for believing that the produce will not work eventually.

The time to act may also be dependent on sunshine levels, and act faster in sunny weather (but I don't know as we haven't had that much sun).

31/07/2012 at 13:21
Glyphosate needs 6 hours of dry weather after application. Bright sunshine is not so good. Warm cloudy conditions best. This new gel does work but it's difficult to tell if you have used it properly. I find it takes up to 3 weeks to see effects
31/07/2012 at 14:06

I bought this gel to put on bindweed that was twining with my clematis. I thought it wasn't working and was beginning to wonder what else i could use whne I noticed -maybe 3 weeks after treatment thta leaves were yellowing and now bindweed is virtually dead and clematis is still happy

31/07/2012 at 19:46
Ive used it on nettles growing in the borders - takes around 10 days. I also used it on a bramble, and did several leaves despite the label saying only needed to do one. However, bramble would survive a nuclear blast, I'm sure, so covering my bets. Two weeks later and bramble still alive, but looking a bit lacklustre compared to two weeks ago. I think patience is the key, however, if you want a garden to look pristine all the time, its probably not for you. You would get fed up waiting and just hand pull the weed (but it will be back!).
28/09/2012 at 22:20

is it any good on wicken grass ?????

28/09/2012 at 23:33

i found it did'nt work at all on my ground elder i think i'll go back to the brush with liquid form

1 to 20 of 72 messages