London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
20 messages
27/06/2014 at 23:14

OK Orchid Lady. Mike is a man of his word.  Should the book ever get written and published.  You sweet lady will receive a first edition. Signed copy.

Now then.  My outline is for the book to be different of course to any other gardening book. I recently asked on the forum, if any members might decline to be mentioned.  I want this book to be a living thing, not some stuffy old relic from the past.  I have addmitted that I can be something of a renegade. Often diversing from the, 'Experts'.  I don't wish to give away too much here and now.  However in the lite of what I consider  a recent criticism. My profession training ony consisted of my groundsmans course. That was supplied via UCL at their grounds at Motspur Park.  Surrey.  There I learned the lot and gained my certs.  My gaining a first in horticulture. I was self taught.  My various Fellowships etc. Came at a price.  Hard constant study and learning, and to have letters after my name.  A gross annual subscription.  Now at the age of 75, I have been addmitted to the plant Pathologist organisation.  Once again pay out time. For the benefit of members who might have an assortment of ideas about me.  During my working days. The salary was crap.  For shopping, Val and I had around eighteen bob a week to keep house and body on.  Might I say.  Any commenters who believe we old uns had a better deal.  COBBLERS.  Had these present day opportunities been around, I would have by now been a Prof; Believe me. Throughout my life. I have worked 'B' hard.  I wish to continue learning and to impart knowledge to others.

27/06/2014 at 23:34

I enjoy reading your posts and have learnt a lot from them, not only about gardening but about all manner of things. Some people have nothing better to do than criticize others. No matter how experience has been gained, it is worth much more if it is passed on.

Keep posting Mike and I look forward to reading your book. Writing it is something you can do while you wait for your strength to return.

28/06/2014 at 05:22

I agree with Pauline 7, keep at it Mike!

28/06/2014 at 20:38
Mike.......I rather think you may be reading too much into this...........I don't think for a minute anyone on here is suggesting that you haven't worked hard for what you have achieved..........but in that respect, you are little different from many other posters on this forum. You do have a wealth of knowledge and experience to pass on ( again, like many others here ).......it is sometimes perhaps the way you do it that causes some indignation from other posters.
You do not need to keep reminding everyone of your qualifications, etc.......it is in your profile and those who are interested can take a look and go from there.
I know that you are recovering from various medical conditions but you are perhaps only causing yourself more angst by getting het up when someone takes exception to your manner of responding to basic queries.
As far as I can see, everyone here enjoys a good debate and a joke and sometimes threads can wander somewhat from the original subject but when someone poses a question, a basic straightforward response would be welcomed, particularly if the query comes from a beginner.
You may well wish to query someone's basic knowledge but there are nicer ways to do that...........no one enjoys being patronised after all. You are talking to the gardeners of the future after all.........encouragement is what is needed .....knowledge will follow and you can help here.
I don't say this as a Young 'Un.............I'm only 10 years behind you..........but younger people have just as many problems in life these days.......just different problems to the ones you may have experienced.
Well, I've said my bit and I hope you will take this in the spirit it is intended.
Edd
28/06/2014 at 22:56
Thanks philippa smith2 .(smile icon) I understand where you are coming from.

Sometimes things can be miss read with text and taken the wrong way. (i should know as i'm as blunt as a breeze block) Personal situations and mood timing can not be judged by other people ( who read the text) and there is on edit to correct things after someone has replied.

Anyhow. Mike i would love to read your book but can you please split the facts with some lovely pictures ( that will give you something to do) electron microscope will do, unless you can find better! We all have to take a breath now and again and im sure you have loads of time and ideas. (Not sure why you are felling chastised? Am i missing something).

Regards
Edd.

Edit: Or is that me just being too blunt again???
28/06/2014 at 23:48
Philiper. Thanks for your honest comments. Truly. I had no idea that I tended to rant on about my qualifications etc. My apologies. However in some form of defense, some remarks that sparked this off, certainly not very kind. At the end of the day. We have all had our say. Water under the bridge. It would be nice to hear from Chris and take note of his/her feelings.

Edd. Thanks for your input. I am so pleased that you and many others enjoy my expertise and humour.

On the side. Mike is quite a sensitive kind of person. In brief. Val and I were always the first port of call, by persons in trouble, even total strangers. We'd do our best, only to find, some time later we ended up with the dirty end of the stick. I will try and explain this in a seperate post.
Thanks again for the fine counsel.
Edd
29/06/2014 at 00:05
i mean every word Mike i want to see your book.

Perhaps i can swap you for my one on moss when i was younger.

Edd.

PS. If anyone is interested i will pay you to buy one. The second addition is called 'Best cure to insomnia!' Its a bit in depth (usually peat!) lol.

( I need a slap with a smile please. icon)

Edd.
29/06/2014 at 10:49
Morning Mike, I've nit been around for a few days so missed you post I look forward to receiving my book and hope you are feeling better than you have recently, you certainly seem more positive just try not to take comments to heart too much. X
20/08/2014 at 19:45

What is this book and may I be able to buy it in WH Smiff

20/08/2014 at 20:04

Punica.......I'm afraid you are a bit out of date

For good gardening books, I'd suggest your local library or even Amazon.

If it is some subject  in particular which you need to read up on, perhaps start a new thread?

Hope this helps 

20/08/2014 at 20:11

Bluddy ell! Thort I'd seen a ghost.   

20/08/2014 at 20:30

Thanks for the reminder 

20/08/2014 at 20:31

David............don't panic............a teensy bit of stirring I think given the discrepancy in the dates

20/08/2014 at 20:32

Hmmm....what a strange coincidence 

20/08/2014 at 20:34

OL..........forget it...........holiday soon for you I think ?  Have a lovely time

20/08/2014 at 21:09

Oh heck 

20/08/2014 at 21:33
star gaze lily wrote (see)

Oh heck 

I'll send you a hug, Lilly......any excuse!

20/08/2014 at 21:44

I wonder who punica is really?

20/08/2014 at 21:48

Well I vote that we just stop posting on this thread or any other similar thread and stop feeding whoever it is that wants to bring them back again  

I'm thinking of changing my name too so I'm not associated with any OL posts!!!!

21/08/2014 at 07:28

Thanks awfully.

20 messages