Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

The cutting garden 2016

I like to have cut flowers in the house , and as much as possible I like to cut my own.

My year starts with a little bunch of snowdrops, followed by daffodils and snowflakes, peonies and large alliums,  sweet peas in the summer, and then gladioli and dahlias. I am adding in Ammi majus, perennial gypsophila, zinnia whirligig, and delphiniums grown in the veg patch.

What are you growing for cutting?

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

fidget I am the same, a tiny posy of snowdrops or primroses makes me so happy, way more than a £25 bunch of scentless roses.. a few daffs, tulips, lots of stocks, sweet williams, more sweet peas than ever, roses of course, i only have 3 delphiniums so far but sown lots, bluebells ( inherited spanish, dig some up each year but making most of them!) lavender..think that's it!

• daisy doodaisy doo Posts: 90

Bishops children dahlias, rudbeckia,s, sunflowers, sweet William or for spring hellebores, dwarf narcissi and stems of pussy willow or hazel. In a cream milk jug really old-fashioned I love them x

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

I sowed Ammi a week ago in plug trays in the greenhouse, and scattered some in the wildflower bit. Last year I grew 10 wk stocks, but they weren't big enough. I have seeds of the biennial sort in the hope of flowers next spring, but I haven't sown them yet. The greenhouse is already full.

I like to float hellebore flowers in a shallow dish.

Aym, these are all from Ashwoods. The double dark red does not seem to set seed, and is still flowering, but the others set seed, I will be taking some off later if I remember to bag them, otherwise I  lose them in the compost around them.

Taken today..

Ashwoods are not cheap, but given that most plants sold are three year old, and the flowers make all others look like also rans... save your pennies and go and see the polytunnels full next February.  I also have a couple of their single neons

I am still on daffs from the garden. I'm not good at arranging, I tend to plonk them in a vase. The smell is lovely.

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

A bone of contention in our house.

OH is always wanting to cut flowers for the house, but other than sweet peas, I have banned her.

One day I will get round to restoring the flower beds in the orchard, and then we can have a cutting garden. 

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border

This group of hellebores are under an old oak tree.and faces south all winter so gets sun in Spring and autumn when the sun is low.There is a raised wall in poor state because the previous owners Great Danes used to play king of the castle on there. The bulbs and hellebores are followed by hardy geraniums later on, and then most of it dies down by June after the oak tree is in full leaf because it is in full shade and too dry.I have a cacoon.. a hanging tent like thingy to hang from one of the big branches later on. I intend rebuilding the retaining wall with stone at some point to stop the soil running off. I have never fed the hellebores apart from putting home made compost around them.

The magic happens at Ashwood. Thank John Massey for his breeding programme.

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

am v jkealous, gorgeous daffs fidget, are they peonies in the 2nd pic brenda? I was puching my 2 year old on the swing today and have spotted a space just perfect for another peony...