London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 17°C
201 to 220 of 235 messages
29/06/2013 at 20:59

Glad to hear you are no longer illegible...illiterate...wha'ever.

29/06/2013 at 21:01

intangible...that's the word you're looking for...

29/06/2013 at 21:07

Daft pair.

29/06/2013 at 21:23

My MIL was a lovely lady, warm and kind. She had bad legs, an ample figure and long white hair in a bun and seemed old to me from the moment I met her (I was 16). She could not walk very well. My FIL built a pond and they had goldfish which she loved to watch and feed. Since they lived in the country, the pond atttracted frogs, however, and she hated and feared them. One day, as she hung out the washing, a frog suddenly hopped across her path. I haven't forgotten the sight of her  running back up the garden, getting up quite a turn of speed,  her knees almost touching her chin. Perhaps I should get a few frogs myself, to build up my fitness, since I'm now older than she was at the time. And I'm still a natural blonde! Well, sort of.  

30/06/2013 at 11:31

Not so much daft as a close call:

Was digging out the bottom of the compost heap. It's been here longer than I have, it's huge and it's covered in sticks, but there's good compost at the bottom, albeit mixed with rubbish. Put shovel into heap, loosened compost, got it on the shovel, took it to where I needed it, deployed it and went back for more several times, then hit a dry, soft patch. It fell down beside the head of the shovel, and ... moved. I realized what I'd hit a split second before the angry buzzing sound started, dropped the shovel and ran. I bought compost at the GC and gave them a week to calm down before I went back to the heap.

Slightly daft: attempting to push back the Himalayan balsam from the stream banks, I uprooted two sackfuls of it. The obvious place for this great mass of soggy greenery was the top of the compost heap. I uprooted it before any flowers had formed, and it still managed to form flowers, attract insects, get pollinated and produce seed just running on what it had. I have since had to uproot more plants from the compost heap.

30/06/2013 at 13:23

Charlie

Over the years we have had mason bees, 5 wasps nests and probably wild bees nesting somewhere as well.  We had 1 wasps nest in one of our compost bins, we managed to ignore each other for the whole of the season. The one in the garden shed was a bit trickier as we needed to get in and out for tools etc.  When we took it down in the winter its structure was fantasic all these tiny perfect little cells, amazing. The 2 we had in a low stone wall had me running for cover as we managed to cover the entrance with a tarpaulin full of hedge clippings. Had to leave it for a couple of days due to heavy rain and when I came to move it the wasps didn't like it at all.  The other half got quite badly stung  when he strimmed too close to the entrance of another nest in a bank, and I'd already told him where it was and to be careful.  He gets carried away with machinery. Lots of bees on our Pyrocantha, which is covered in flowers at present.

30/06/2013 at 13:36

If only bees would put up a little sign saying 'in residence' so we'd know they're there!!

Charlie it's incredible how weeds can survive on fresh air isn't it? Done that myself but fortunately noticed the weeds were still alive before they seeded and managed to dispose of them!

30/06/2013 at 14:28

Hello,friends, When i think about create a garden than i not think that which rose i grow. but after some time i decide red rose and yellow rose. After i successes in my first garden than i create one more garden and this garden have all types of flowers. I am making my new web site about flowers please check it for more details about flowers garden please click here Flowers Images

30/06/2013 at 18:04

Lovely flowers,David

KEF
30/06/2013 at 19:54

Hi david 1 david. Do you have any funny tales to tell about creating your rose garden? I remember many years ago my little brother had a peddle car, white American thing, Father Christmas brought it. By Summer he was very proficient at driving, could even reverse it. On day he reversed over the end of the drive fell 3 / 4 feet and landed in Dad's rose bed Dad ran out picked him up, checked no broken bones and left him, then tended damaged roses, if I remember rightly Ena Harkness, Dorothy Cousins, Grandpa Dickinson, Blue Moon, Iceberg, Fragrant Cloud, Peace, soz brain dead when I started to type I thought of about 20 names.

I so wish I could have them now. Still got brother

30/06/2013 at 20:08

I went round to my friends house and she proudly showed me her tomato plants that a friend had given her, They looked realy lush and healthy, she then said " i have been pinching all the flowers out". She couldn't understand why i was laughing, i had to explian that she obviously wasn't listening to her freind when she told her to pinch out the side shoots. Silly girl 

01/07/2013 at 18:53

KEF
01/07/2013 at 20:45

Aliesh, that's funny. Have a look at page one of this thread and see what Verdon did to his melons.

01/07/2013 at 20:51

And it brought tears to my eyes

KEF
01/07/2013 at 20:58
Verdun wrote (see)

And it brought tears to my eyes

thought I'd better put 3 not 2 .

01/07/2013 at 22:29

I've never forgotten what OH did with my carrots! Shortly after we had bought our house in 1967 I had begun to get a veg garden under way. Nice neat rows of veg all growing merrily away. One day I decided it was time to thin the carrots out and gave the thinnings to OH to use in the kitchen (telling her these were the thinnings & they should taste nice and sweet). A couple of days later I noticed all the carrots had disappeared from the garden. "What's happened to all my carrots?" I asked with some concern "We ate them all for dinner" she said - "They're not very good, if that's home grown carrots I don't think much of them, shop ones are much bigger!"  We both still laugh about it now but I wasn't impressed at the time. In fact every time I thin carrots (even though she probably knows a lot more about gardening than I do nowadays), I still say "Now these are just the thinnings - you must wait until they're big enough to harvest" & I always get the same response "Ha-Ha!" (but it's all good natured banter!)

19/08/2013 at 09:59

Reading another thread prompted me to resurrect this one of Kef's for any newbies who may have a funny story.  Still laugh at Maud's contribution.

19/08/2013 at 13:30

This was also posted on

whats-the-best-or-worst-tools-you-have-and-why - Page 2

I'm pretty happy with my Bosch Rotak40 lawn mower.

Only had to buy one replacement blade so far in about 3 years. That was only because I unwisely tried to mow in a bit of a dip in the lawn by tilting it (the mower, not the lawn!) and the blade caught on the edge of the hole and in a split second, before I could let go or switch off, the whole machine started to dig another channel tunnel by trying to bury itself in the garden.

As the whole machine twisted and wrenched out of my grasp it mangled the blade and nearly broke my wrist. Be warned - don't mow in holes!

19/08/2013 at 13:39

I did a stupid thing the other day. Was cutting back young trailers of my butternuts and promptly cut the main branch of the biggest butternut! Doubt if the other smaller ones will ripen before frost. Should have known better, did the same to perfectly good branch of my climbing rose last year!

19/08/2013 at 13:52

Hello SwissSue

Reminds me of 4-6 weeks ago.

When I was weeding in amongst  some much taller plants I found 2 lovely red lilies, about a foot high, that my wife must have planted a year or two ago.

I admired their colour and their persistence in surviving a cruel winter, overcrowding, not to mention my neglect and ignorance in my new gardening rôle. I promptly pulled the bloom right off one of them as I dutifully resumed weeding! 

Quite upset me  at the time but I suppose we either learn from such mistakes ... or we don't!

201 to 220 of 235 messages