London (change)
Today 20°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 14°C
1 to 20 of 235 messages
KEF
11/05/2013 at 08:02

If you've already had this subject please tell me.

The daftest thing I've done in terms of plants is introducing Alchemilla Mollis (Lady's Mantle) into the garden. I blame Mr. Titchmarsh, who said how lovely it looked holding raindrops, and so good for insects to drink from, easily controlled if you remove flowerheads. I've done my best but now have it all over, even in lawn.

Daftest thing by me...so many but the most recent was having given a foliar feed to ordinary pot plants who were looking a bit pale, I mixed a new lot and did the the eric' ones. Choisya Sundance was the last and I had some left so I poured the remaining acid feed on the Fatsia Japonica. Why? I knew it wasn't an acid lover. Think my arm was working faster than my brain.

11/05/2013 at 08:29

Daftest thing?

Few years back amd only having lunch hour I decided to side shoot my melons growing in a cold frame.  Only had about 3 melons.  In my haste I "side shooted" the fruit.  No melons

I usually do things in great  haste...no patience....stepped on veg seedlings when thinning those alongside, training broad beans up a runner bean frame (novice then) and fallIng into my pool when I ...showing off....decided to jump across from one side to the other.  Wot am I like eh?

11/05/2013 at 08:38

.....maybe not in the garden but just washed my black trousers in washing machine and, in my infinite wisdom, decided to put my dogs blanket in as well.  White dog hairs all over my trousers!!!!

KEF
11/05/2013 at 08:41

Verdun you sound very like me. Thankfully I don't have a pond.

Telling the tale here, some years ago I asked hubby to fetch some basil from greenhouse as I cooked pasta sauce. Came back with leaves he'd pulled off pepper plants. He's not lived it down yet.

KEF
11/05/2013 at 08:42

My trick is to leave a tissue in a pocket, even after checking.

11/05/2013 at 09:01

made  a brew .with the  water from our  hot water bottle .

11/05/2013 at 09:04

Yep KEF

i am very stooooooopid at times. 

11/05/2013 at 09:19
KEF wrote (see)

My trick is to leave a tissue in a pocket, even after checking.

A favourite here, especially in a black load, grrrrr!

11/05/2013 at 09:22

When I first moved here there was a fairly attractive (single) plant which I thought the previous owner had grown, so left it to see what it was.  Lovely tall purple flower spikes followed so I collected seed and spread it around a bit.

I've been pulling-up examples of my self-induced purple toadflax invasion from my borders for the last 30 years.

11/05/2013 at 09:25

I introduced Enchanter's Nightshade, against the advice of the gardener I got it from.

It looked pretty

11/05/2013 at 09:29

Verd glad I don't have a dog....always leaving lipsalves in jackets and then washing though- have now found one that survives it!

Daughter's expensive purple lippy didn't though-that'll teach her to empty her pockets....

In the garden- I was lifting slabs and leant one against a wall- except it wasn't at enough of an angle...fell over, caught the face of the spade which flipped up in the air and hit my cheek....children thrown in car and trip to A&E..

11/05/2013 at 09:44

Oh dear, I've just planted a purple toadflax. But my alchemilla mollis that I wanted to spread a bit just won't. It's made 1 baby in 5 years!

Several years ago I saw a pretty flower in my daughter's garden so I took some home. It's still pretty and it brightens a dark corner, but it seeds itself like mad - everywhere! But it is quite easy to pull up. Impatiens balfourii or Kashmir balsaam. But I still rather wish I'd left it where it was!

11/05/2013 at 10:37

I used to buy plants on 'sight'.  Never checked how big/.wide they would grow so have over the years had to reposition many which turned out to be whoppers and totally in the wrong position. Funny thing is one I bought 3 years ago, which should grow to 2m x 2m, for the sole purpose of filling a largish area, has made hardly any growth at all.  I can't win.

The other thing I regret is letting the buttercups take such a hold of ground behind Magnolia tree.  Now all amongst the ground cover and gradually creeping further across and down the garden. 

Verdun, I too have swum with the fishes.  Good job it was summertime.

11/05/2013 at 10:44

Tina- that's why you see so many front doors with gigantic conifers 2' away from them...

Have you had your weetabix?

Was thinking of making pancakes....

11/05/2013 at 10:53

Mistakenly admiring some fox and clubs wildflowers last year, not really believing how invasive they are.........will be doing a lot of weeding

11/05/2013 at 10:59

That's right FG.  Where my new flower bed is now stood a huge connifer tree.  It was lovely when I bought it, about 4ft tall, very sweet.  Grew into a big, ugly thing which took all the goodness from the ground, killed the grass and stopped the sunlight.  Fortunately, errant son does like chopping things down and he went to town on it.  I am learning!!

Yes, is the answer to your next question.  Don't like pancakes. Don't really like weetabix either.

11/05/2013 at 11:02

Archie-I just saw your post....brilliant!

Did it taste awful?

Tina- my ex has an area next to his path that contains 4 different conifers that someone must have thought looked so pretty when they bought them....the size of the area?

About a square yard 

11/05/2013 at 11:03

I spent hours one day last week spraying tough weeds. I'd waited till they were starting to grow, and a still dry day came along, and off I went.

Afterwards I realised I'd mixed up the weedkiller too thin. Several times. I'm not very good at mental arithmetic

I've never fallen in a pond - but I have come close (and looked around to see if anyone saw me).

11/05/2013 at 11:03

ha just rememberd  . put grandads fork  throw. my plastic woolies sandals  in to  my big toecica 1962 

11/05/2013 at 11:31

BBoots-pond...

Archie...I remember those sandals well!

1 to 20 of 235 messages