London (change)
Today 17°C / 6°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 4°C
1 to 20 of 44 messages
22/09/2013 at 15:45

I have lived at the bottom of a woodland glade,and well to be honest in eleven year I would say that i could count the number of thrushes on one hand.However there has been an increase in black birds.

What is your experience of them?

22/09/2013 at 16:51

I agree, I've only seen two song thrushes in Norfolk in the past 5 years!  

I believe that the main reason is the routine  use of slug and snail treatments by potato farmers and some gardeners. 

http://www.npt.gov.uk/PDF/Song_Thrush_Factfile.pdf

I sometimes see  songthrushes  when staying in South Kesteven, Lincs, in a village with lots of stone garden walls where there are plenty of places for snails to hide.  

22/09/2013 at 17:25

I do have fieldfare visisting and the black birds are doing a great job with the snail as my hostas have been very good this year, and i agree that people today are far too eager to grab the pellets and sprinkle.I dont use slug pellets as i have a good number of frogs and toads that are doing a great job and then we also have hedgehogs that pay a visit to the garden.i think that people should nbe aware of other items to use to deter slugs.

22/09/2013 at 17:33

Although we're on the edge of a city we had fieldfare last winter, we also have lots of frogs and hedgehogs visiting regularly and there are reports of grass snakes being seen in the vicinity.  They all seem to keep the slugs and snails fairly under control in this garden.

However, my brother is a large potato and vegetable grower, and I am saddened by the routine widespread application of slug and snail treatments, several times a year.  He says they cannot produce the crops to the standard required by the supermarkets without them.

22/09/2013 at 17:49

Well thats the pressure that they are putting on the grower's and they are not thinking of the wild life.

22/09/2013 at 18:17

here we use to have  mistle and song thrushes but they have declined ,the reason I do not know.

22/09/2013 at 18:20

Is it possible that the increase of buzzards and sparrow hawks,or even climate change?.

22/09/2013 at 18:23

Ummmmmmmmm!  It's not only farmers who use slug pellets.  Hands up those on this board who use them.  Yes, I thought so!

The blackbirds will be arriving from Scandanavia soon, followed by the redwings and fieldfares. There are so many berries this year, I'm not sure they'll get to us in the far west.

There was a thrush sitting on the wheelbarrow earlier this week, and plenty of evidence they have been busy cracking snails around the garden.

22/09/2013 at 18:35
Welshonion wrote (see)

..............There was a thrush sitting on the wheelbarrow earlier this week, and plenty of evidence they have been busy cracking snails around the garden.

Oh my word!    I've not seen a thrush's anvil for years ....

22/09/2013 at 18:43

we have had cedar waxwings up here in the northwest. i have not yet seen one myself,but it was in my local northwest paper.

22/09/2013 at 19:00

I have also noticed a decline of lapwing's anybody else noticed.

22/09/2013 at 19:24

Over the last year we've been here (Bletchingley in Surrey) in our semi country/semi woodland home we've had both mistle thrushes and song thrushes although admittedly not in any great numbers (the odd one or two). Beautiful birds to look at and to listen to its a shame there aren't more but they're the first ones I've seen in years and years. Lots of blackbirds though. Had a visiting Fieldfare last winter, who knows if he'll come back this year, we also had Redwings last winter, hoping to see them again this year. I'd love to see more thrushes I think they are declining. 

22/09/2013 at 19:31

Not seen a thrush in ages but do get waxwings, fieldfares and redwings in winter.

22/09/2013 at 19:32

I would love to know what sort of scale this is and would love for people out there to let me know if they see any.

22/09/2013 at 19:56

i did not know you were into onithology MsBee

22/09/2013 at 20:04

Yep, something else you don't know about me 

22/09/2013 at 20:13

Seems that we have even more in common.

22/09/2013 at 21:12

north manchester we have blackbirds and song thrushes . 

22/09/2013 at 21:23

where in north manchester are you

23/09/2013 at 10:27

I do think that fellow man is the main culprit for the decline,and i know that cats take some but that as been like that for centuries.Also i would like to add is that manufaturers are putting in more and more chemicals into the slug pellets,just to make their product better than the competition.

1 to 20 of 44 messages