London (change)
Today 25°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
161 to 174 of 174 messages
11/07/2014 at 22:08

Bought 4 packets of seeds from Westcountry 3 years ago, only a few germinated but none grew past the seedling stage!

When I reported it they were not very pleasant! (a woman I think)

A very black mark from me,and another one they did not do cheques only postal orders!

A speaker at the garden club said to try Woodfield Hybrids from Fothergills, I got 2 packets (£2.69 each) marvelous germination, as I had so many I planted most of them in two rows at the allotment!

Great range of colours, and really tightly packed flower columns, have labeled some to take cuttings off !

24/07/2014 at 12:54

..this isn't a 'good guy' but thought to post it here....  this is an email I have just sent to Crocus.... be warned...

''Dear Crocus,

I am very annoyed about this, I have just taken delivery of the above order, which was supposed to be for a rose called rosa 'Felicia', a well known hybrid musk rose, that I have grown many times before... what I have been sent is NOT Felicia...I don't know which rose it is but the foliage is all wrong, it looks like a wild type that only flowers at midsummer...Felicia should have at least the remains of flower buds and the foliage should be more rounded and slightly glossy, the foliage on this one is matt and without gloss... I can tell it's just not the rose I ordered... I am not going to bother to plant it nor send it back...it's not worth the trouble... I am hugely disappointed, it's as if someone has just taken the Felicia label and just stuck it on any old rose just to get rid of..half price...

..I will not be ordering from Crocus ever again and I shall tell anyone I am in contact with, to be very mistrustful of this service.

regards''

24/07/2014 at 13:39

That could have been me Salino.  Well said 

Had plugs of echinacea from YouGarden.  Superb comdition, very large size and already potted on.  Have already emailed to say I will order again from them."

24/07/2014 at 13:48

Wow Salino. I hope you let us know their reply A different customer would have no idea they had been sent the wrong thing, like me for instance.

In 2012 I ordered candy stripe and Osiria rose from Spalding. It probably serves me right for ordering from their technicolor catalogue but this year they both flowered grudgingly and both being pink, neither was Osiria.

They immediately offered to replace it when the bare roots are available again though which was nice of them as I no longer had details of the order.

Don't know what my other pink rose is, tbh don't know which is candy stripe but I read they're quite weak and often revert so perhaps that has happened.

Spalding customer services were great to be fair, but these days I order from smaller nurseries not global enterprises

24/07/2014 at 14:12

..yeah, I should have known... I normally get from bona fide rose growers but I couldn't resist the 50 percent off.... if I had ordered this through Waitrose, who also use Crocus, they were still full price but I bet I would have got the correct plant...

I have looked on Crocus and I see they offer the wild hedgerow rose Rosa Canina, the dog rose... and I firmly believe that's what I've got, and I've just sent off another email telling them so, and wanting a refund...  let's see if we hear... not letting it drop...

25/07/2014 at 12:03

hi Guys...thanks for your support here...

just to update, I shall give Crocus some credit for getting back to me yesterday within hours of my email, asking me to send them photos... this I did straight away... today I received this email from them:-

''Good morning, The plant doctor has advised that it is most likely the incorrect plant, however we do not currently have any in stock, so i have refunded you to the account that was used to process your order.The money should appear in your account within 3 - 5 working days.My sincere apologies on this mix up.''

...I should think so too....the fact that it's been admitted they don't have any in stock of the one I wanted, does tend to confirm my earlier suspicions..

...readers choice as to what we think of Crocus...

pleased you got good service from Spalding, Victoria... they're not one I know of...will look up YouGarden, Verdun... don't know them either...

25/07/2014 at 12:40

Well done Salino.  If people do not complain.....and most do not.....service will not improve.

25/07/2014 at 12:42

I think they should have offered you a voucher as a sign of good faith. In that instance I don't think a refund is adequate, albeit with an apology as it shows a failing in their system which someone could have been misled by.

I say that as someone who orders from crocus all the time.

I did get good service from Spalding but I wouldn't entirely recommend them. If you look through one of their colour saturated catalogues you'll understand. Also you will get a hell of a lot of junk mail once they get hold of your details

How much was the dog rose in comparison to the discounted Felicia?

25/07/2014 at 12:53

..thanks Verdun...I wonder how many other people are getting the wrong plants...

Victoria...yeah, I do think you have a point..a voucher would have been nice too but I'm just pleased to get my refund and be done with it... I won't be going back there, that's for sure..

...amazingly, the rose I suspect it is..the dog rose, is their most expensive variety... even in the sale it's £3 more to buy... incredible really, for a plant you can see in any hedgerow...

in fact, that's where mine is heading... I shall leave it until the winter, there are lots of lovely lanes near me full of these, so I shall quietly dig a pit and plonk it in.. where I walk my dog, so I can keep an eye on it...

25/07/2014 at 13:11

From their point of view they should have offered a voucher as now they've lost a customer. Perhaps they don't care which is a depressing thought.

I've been sent vouchers for late delivery and accepted a greater value of vouchers instead of a refund from Hayloft for something they could not send and I didn't even complain.

25/07/2014 at 13:32

Indeed... and good to know that about Hayloft.. you would think in this day and age, where we can broadcast our experiences far and wide... that going the extra mile would be essential for any online business...

25/07/2014 at 17:41

Hi Folks a quick update on Claire Austin, I posted a week or so ago that out of an order of 4 plants 3 were fine but that astrantia roma was in a sorry state.  They said to plant it and that in a couple of weeks it should be fine.  I decided to recontact them and let them know that the plant was not thriving (by email).  Yesterday I received a new plant from them that is much healthier, so 'one of the good guys' this time.

26/07/2014 at 11:15

Once again Hayloft Plants have got my vote for excellent plants.  Just received 10 Gerbera Spider plants which are hardy perennials and were reduced price.  At the same time I ordered 3 free eryngium which arrived last week and are now very chunky, healthy plants.  The Gerbera are 9"+ in height, very bushy, and have large rootballs.  They apparently like dry conditions so, if my garden is going to be as dry next year as this, they will flourish.

27/07/2014 at 14:58

Have just returned from GC and realise that in my last post I said I had received three free eryngium from Hayloft.  This is wrong and I now know what eryngium look like.  I should have written erysimum.

email image
161 to 174 of 174 messages