London (change)
Today 23°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 14°C
1 to 20 of 174 messages
01/12/2013 at 09:15

Following a suggestion on the forum, here is a thread giving praise to those good online suppliers of plants, etc.

Dove Cottage for good perennials well packed, economically priced and providing a wide range of both new and old varieties.  I have yet to be disappointed with this supplier. Woottens is first class in every way and is my first choice for online purchases

01/12/2013 at 09:29

Crocus, expensive but top class plants well packaged and quick delivery. Hardys Cottage garden plants, as above.

01/12/2013 at 09:51

Thoroughly agree re Woottens - fantastic http://www.woottensplants.com/index.html

Also Reads nursery http://www.readsnursery.co.uk/ -  suppliers of superb fruit trees and soft fruit bushes etc - and sooooooooooooo helpful 

01/12/2013 at 10:58

Agree with Crocus and Hardy's.  Have also been very pleased with Burncoose, Sarah Raven and Seagate Irises.  Ashridge trees were excellent too

01/12/2013 at 12:22

Thank Verdun for starting this. The more we use the best suppliers the more the bad will be forced to change.

Advertising with expensive glossy brochures is good marketing, however recommendations by word of mouth is the best form of advertising any company can get.

01/12/2013 at 13:35

Well, Dave, it was your idea .......  A good one I think.

I have had excellent service from Ashwoods, perhill nurseries, Cotswold garden flowers, crocus and Hardys

I have had poor service too but...being the persistent "knowing my rights" sort of guy I am........I have always had full recompense.  I simply do not go to these guys again though as I feel they should get it right first time 

Not too sure about the newspaper offers  though!  bought illumination pink foxgloves from QVC last year that were good value 

Lyn
01/12/2013 at 13:50

I have just had a fantasic package for J Parkers. A pack of 3 assorted astrantia, there was 12 bare roots in the bags, so not bad for 4.49. There were 9 bare root phlox, so big they went into 7 inch pots. 2 bare root euonymus red cascade, 1.99 each, both shooting. Some other things, all very good, cant remember now, 6 asters, already in pots and more, all super value.

I only buy when their plants are in the sale, my acer, planted last spring, already 4ft tall and only 1.99 was good value.

01/12/2013 at 16:35

Sounds good Lyn 

01/12/2013 at 16:46

Another vote for Woottens - good large plants supplied with lots of cultural information.  I've decided I'm only going to buy live plants from suppliers who have delivery tracking from now on.  Some of the better known mail order suppliers have let me down badly this year despite ordering well in advance and those companies provide no tracking information.  I've received several emails after making enquiries that 'they have just been despatched' etc which turned out to be.. well.. lies.  They have blown it as far as I'm concerned - I spend several hundred pounds every year on plants and they will be getting none of it!

01/12/2013 at 19:17

Just remembered "plantsmans preference" in Norfolk were very good too.

sounds like a good haul Lyn - i love phlox

01/12/2013 at 20:57

Fab thread..... Crocus for me and if you can watch out for their open days. Save on postage and lots of special offers. Seagate iris so far seen v good....

01/12/2013 at 22:32

Hi all. This is my first post, although I have followed the forum from the start.

Mailorder trees, well packaged and superb specimens.

I also use coblands. They often have discount sales and were offering 50% a few months ago on their aniversary, although 25% is more usual.

01/12/2013 at 22:45

Coblands gets my vote too... fair priced, good quality and brilliant delivery. A honeysuckle I bought off them as a mere twig let in may this year has already rampaged over a large archway in a flood of flowers and fruits. 

01/12/2013 at 22:51

Vernun I love this post!

used dobbies for seeds But never dared buy plants but may look at these places. Hopefully they will have 'sale' pages, I'm an avid bargain hunter!

01/12/2013 at 23:06

I would recommend subscribing to Coblands emails for details of offers.

Geetee bulbs have my vote forvest quality, service and value for bulbs.

I have also used Burncoose without any problems

02/12/2013 at 00:28

Interesting notes about coblands.  Considered buying from them but been uncertain until now.  Were good size plamts supplied MACAVITYTHECAT? 

Burncoose is almost on my doorstep so can go there but bought excellent anemone Wild Swan from them.

Thanks Red Dahlia.  If we know the good guys we are less likely to be disappointed with the plants we get 

02/12/2013 at 08:18

Chicky - Plantsman's Preference had escaped my notice!  Thanks for the heads up!

They look to have a very interesting selection of plants and prices look reasonable too 

02/12/2013 at 09:35

Coblands is great. I have 2 massive Cordylines from them this year and I have been admiring them from the window since I moved them on the patio. All my plants from them have thrived.

02/12/2013 at 09:56

This is such a good thread - it will give me much more confidence in ordering - in fact I'm much more likely to order many more plants ............. 

02/12/2013 at 12:18

How can I forget Duchy of Cornwall Nursery? - I ordered on Sunday afternoon and the plants where in my garden by Tuesday morning. Very well packed and healthy large plants.

1 to 20 of 174 messages