London (change)
Today 11°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 4°C
1 to 20 of 36 messages
12/03/2014 at 23:23

The mystery of pH.

Now and then members raise questions that at the end of the day, relate to the pH scales etc.

Might I ask each and everyone using these forums. Would I be ‘out of place’ posting a whatever dealing with the mysterious pH scales etc.

Has anyone any objections?

Regards.

Growmore.

&

Mike.

12/03/2014 at 23:25

nope, not objection from me Mike.

13/03/2014 at 06:57

Sounds like a helpful idea 

13/03/2014 at 08:51

A bit of an explanation of the different effects on plants of pH either side of neutral would take the mystery out of it for everyone.

Also the remidies if any for the extreme pH levels.

13/03/2014 at 08:56

Go for it Mike.  

13/03/2014 at 10:42

no probs Mike i downloaded it  and use it all the time its now simple go4it

13/03/2014 at 12:52

No objections here Mike we could all learn a lot from this subject.

13/03/2014 at 21:27

Actually I have been reminded by a member on the RHS forum, that the latter have some info on the subject.  Give me a while to re-read my draft.  At the least.  I will compile a list of most plants etc and match them up to a pH chart.

Thanks for the vote of confidnce.

13/03/2014 at 22:12

Thank you Mike, that would be helpful.  I still need to check my soil and was wondering how easy it is if my son gets me some Ph paper? Do I just mix some soil with water??  No idea what to do and not overly scientific but Ph scales are one thing I do understand....just not in relation to plants at the moment! 

14/03/2014 at 00:29

Base = OH-  donor     

acid = H+ donor.

that and bits of the periodic table are most of my chemestry

14/03/2014 at 08:15

Hiya Mike

You have many friends here so looking forward to your comments 

14/03/2014 at 08:21

Hiya Mike

You have many friends here so looking forward to your comments 

Plant list and matching PH will be fascinating 

14/03/2014 at 08:49

It not only baffles me Dove, it angers me!!! 

Anyway, Mike, your comment re me & Ph, don't get me wrong, I am not expert. I simply know about the scale/colour etc that I learnt in Chemistry XX amount of years ago  I only know a few plants that like acid/alkali that I have learned from this forum and greatly welcome more knowledge 

14/03/2014 at 09:07

Sorry to be so ignorant, but what is a WUM?

Mike, looking forward to the chemistry lesson as I have apparently a PH of 8, (in the garden, not me personally)  but most things grow here barring camelias, which I love and beastly rhodedendrons.

Keep up the good work

Edd
14/03/2014 at 09:15

wind-up merchant

14/03/2014 at 09:16

art- they're t****. That's all you need to know.

Beastly rhodos - that's a good way of describing them art! Scottish gardens are awash with Rhodos, Azaleas, Pieris and Camellias as they suit our conditions but I like to try other things and not follow the herd and just play safe. Don't care for Rhodos myself but I do love Camellias. 

I think Mike's info will be very useful for people who're unsure about the whole ph thing, especially if they have tried a plant in the past and wondered why it hasn't been thriving etc.

Edd
14/03/2014 at 09:22
Fairygirl wrote (see)

especially if they have tried a plant in the past and wondered why it hasn't been thriving etc.

That is exactly the situation i am in FG and that is why this info would be great. 

I have always just done what i thought was best, with varied results unfortunately. 

Edd

14/03/2014 at 09:35

pH... can be confusing., and amusing.

Many years ago I went on a course on  hair products. I asked the person running the course  if the shampoo was pH balanced. This obviously totally confused her so she asked me if I knew what pH was. Quck answer.. pH is a measure of the potential Hydrogen ion concentration...  (I have an A level in Chemistry). At this point everyone in the room turned round and stared at me. Slow answer... skin is around pH 5 , slightly acid.  Preparations for the skin should be around the same. Alkali Ph 8 to 14 is more dangerous to skin than acid pH 1 to 5. Neutral is around pH 7. 

End of Chemistry lesson, on to gardening...

Chalky soil is alkaline,  good fertile loam is broadly neutral. Acid soil (less than pH6) often contains a lot of peat.

If you have neutral soil you can grow most things.

Alkaline soil good for buddlejas, brassicas (reduces clubroot).

Acid soil good for azaleas, rhododendrons, camellias, meconopsis.

So Mike, ignore the WUM and give us the definitive list.

14/03/2014 at 09:46

That's a very good summing up fidget. The biggest killer of plants here is wet, cold soil as we have high rainfall and a lot of clay. I can grow most things as my soil is neutral, but for plants like Iris, Phormiums or Mediterraneum herbs like Rosemary, it's just a question of giving them what they need so I grow them in raised borders (or pots) where I can control that better. 

Come on Mike- storm on and give us your info 

14/03/2014 at 10:43

I wouldn't mind starting a similar thread about NPK, if there was any interest.

1 to 20 of 36 messages