Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

They're edible: who knew?

pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,193

Took a trip to the NT Knighthayes Court today (just outside Tiverton in Devon).  The kitchen garden is wonderful - well laid out and well labelled.  There is a section of ground given over to tubers and, as you would expect, potatoes of varying cultivars are labelled, row by row.  But there are two rows of dahlias, which, it is said, are edible.  I never knew that!  You learn something new every day!

• Edible - well I for one am not going to try eating them - although I do eat edoes & cassava and they don't look that great either but do taste nice.

• I bet they used to say that about potatoes, Guernsey Donkey.

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

I think I will stick to potatoes to eat, and Dahlias to look at.

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • Invicta2Invicta2 Posts: 663

They are eaten quite a lot in Spain. The spanish have selected for good quality eating over the years whereas we have selected for ornament. I suspect the Bishop of Llandaff will not be good eating.image

• B3B3 Posts: 27,473

Edible doesn't necessarily means tastes good. It just means it won't poison you  for example  - parsnipsimage

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

I've just recovered pansyface. It's almost cannibalism. 

As for parsnips. Yummity yum yum.

Devon.
  • Saka SakaSaka Saka Posts: 2

Cassava or manioc is very popular in my country. Steamed cassava mix with coconut milk and white sesame.

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,530

Lots of weeds are said to be tasty and nutritious , such as chickweed and goosegrass.  You cook it like spinach.  Never been tempted.

• Saka SakaSaka Saka Posts: 2

image thank you

• Saka Saka, looks delish!!

You can eat goosegrass raw too!  Mind you rather chomp on nice bit of fresh spring growth, it tastes a bit bitter now! image  I learnt that purple (and white actually though not as sweet) clover flowers are edible too last week!  Pretty cool! image