London (change)
Today 20°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
41 to 60 of 61 messages
01/04/2014 at 18:34

that's the problem with being a sales assistant for the past 5 years, I've never had to pay full price for clothes, especially when I've a penchant for rooting about in charity shops! I wanted to learn how to knit cat toys and other such useful things, I think I always knew an entire jumper would be beyond my remit! I managed a scarf for the OH's teddy bear!

01/04/2014 at 22:18

Sweetpea, you need to change your name......it makes me feel really old!!! My number is close though, just replace the 9 with a 7 

GardenJeannie, I'm intrigued how you make hand cream with marigolds, I would love it give that a go 

Edd
01/04/2014 at 23:08

OL, You have started me off thinking again. I make my own calendula salve for small cuts and contusion and they work. Do i need to go further? you might need a small herb garden.

When ever? Please just ask.

Edd.

02/04/2014 at 09:50

Try Calendula petals in scones - Taste great. Part of my organic baking range. Makes good alternative to saffron in rice as well, and so pretty in salads.

02/04/2014 at 11:36

I love how even when I just nip in here for a couple of minutes I suddenly find myself wanting to expand my projects list again and again! Is it marigolds you're meant to grow with tomatoes? I'm not a keen fan of marigolds but if they'd work for my toms and then I'd be able to embark on making hand cream they might seem more favourable!

02/04/2014 at 14:17

I'm not a huge fan of marigolds either Clari but have grown them especially for companion planting (get me using the lingo now ).  I had a quick look last night for 'recipes' for hand creams etc and there are so many.  I need some Calendula now too 

02/04/2014 at 16:26

We use Nelsons Calendula cream from the health food shop, which is good for a variety of things.  Maybe I will harvest the marigolds too then!!

02/04/2014 at 16:33

Orchid - I fear by the end of the year us newbies are going to have wish lists longer than our forks!!

02/04/2014 at 16:45
Clarington I second that my projects have gone from 1 to 20 in the few weeks I have been on here my gardens have been untouched for 7 years (apart from mowing) now I have the green fingered bug they are getting a full make over with the help and advice from everyone on here
03/04/2014 at 00:46

Ha, you newbies? We're all newbies on a site like this. It just serves to show us all how little we know and how much more we want to know. My wish list reaches to the end of our rd and back!

The calendula (marigold) cream, I saw on some tv prog. It involved putting all the petals, crushed up, into an oil. I think they use sunflower, but I thought I might try Almond. Put in a container for a period of time that I can't remember (just as I can't remember the prog!) and shake it a couple of times a day. Then decant and use the oil, either alone, or made into cream with an emulsifier that might possibly have been glycerine?.

Ask Edd, he'll know

Edd, Edd, please?

03/04/2014 at 00:52

Anyway, great to see 'youngsters' liking their gardens again. Maybe we can save the planet after all.

Edd, easy herb recipes please?

03/04/2014 at 06:50

Ok, so just read GJ post and am I right in thinking Calendula and Marigold are the same.....durhhhhh me!!!  What were you saying about newbies GJ? 

The recipe I away used beeswax and olive oil in equal amounts, melted together gently, add the petals and I can't remember the rest......no good for vegans though but beeswax is very good for your skin 

03/04/2014 at 08:51

Beeswax - I have that!!  Usually just chew it up and spit it out like gum.  Yes, calendula is marigold. 

03/04/2014 at 10:53

Hmm. Where can I source bees wax from...

Mikey its never ending! My garden wont be "finished" for a year or two - mostly because I keep changing my mind on things after coming on here!! Its under gone so many major revisions even the green house has moved location.

03/04/2014 at 11:53

Clarington, on another thread someone was asking the beekeepers for their wax, because it is expensive, but the best way of course, is to get yourself a hive!!  My bees didn't produce any excess honey last year, but that is because they were young queens and moved mid-season I think.  But before they went in we nicked a bit of the honeycomb and you chew it and the wax goes like chewing gum, and the honey goes down your throat, and then you can take out the wax and make candles.  As long as you don't object to your own spit!

Edd
03/04/2014 at 12:10

You can get bag of bees wax pellets and blocks on e-bay for around £5 for 500g. If you need larger quantities they the are cheaper from abroad (china) but i am talking half tonne upwards. Some of these companies give out 5Kg sample slabs for free but you have to pay the postage.

03/04/2014 at 13:30
Busy Bee2 wrote (see)

Clarington, on another thread someone was asking the beekeepers for their wax, because it is expensive, but the best way of course, is to get yourself a hive!!  My bees didn't produce any excess honey last year, but that is because they were young queens and moved mid-season I think.  But before they went in we nicked a bit of the honeycomb and you chew it and the wax goes like chewing gum, and the honey goes down your throat, and then you can take out the wax and make candles.  As long as you don't object to your own spit!

Busy Bee. My God father had his own hives and I remember quite fondly "harvest" time! I'd rather like to keep bees myself but we've small children either side of us, not to mention the school that backs on to us and I fear that should I get a hive it would be a source of complaints every time someone got stung regardless of whether it was a wasp or not as common sense is often lacking! Plus my partner wants a dog so I can't see him being keen on bees (nor chickens unfortunately - they may have to brought in when he's away on a boys weekend. We can do that right? Woman's prerogative or something... )

Object to your own spit? Pft there's worse that comes out your body to object to than some dribble!!

03/04/2014 at 14:07

Sometime ago I posted about a hand cream I had found that was natural and made with beeswax, that same company sell beeswax so that is where I was going to to for mine.  They are based in Berwick upon Tweed I think it was, and I have no affiliation to them at all 

OH thought about getting a hive a while ago Busy Bee, I may have to spend him I to have a chat with you 

03/04/2014 at 21:43

Well, I'm no expert on bee-keeping, but can give some basic advice I suppose, or answer simple questions.  I think the government should start giving away free hives to people soon in an attempt to up the number of bees.

03/04/2014 at 21:49

I know someone who got hives free but maybe it was the wrong type 

41 to 60 of 61 messages