41 to 60 of 64 messages
07/09/2013 at 06:29

all my bedding plants this year where cast off's from homebase/B&Q and my local GC 6 cosmos for £2.50 and at full hieght with just some dead heading to do.

James

it's the door in the fence that got me every time and the hose pipe in the letterbox

07/09/2013 at 07:09

Don't rule out supermarkets either. I picked up two fab rudbeckia for 1.50 each huge plants and they just needed a water..... 

07/09/2013 at 07:41

Good one Stacey I bought some good plants this year from Supermarkets as well 

As I was really late this year getting into my garden because of a new pacemaker all my bedding plants where end of the line plants.

in fact I still have a lot off colour in my garden as a result of this. Most of my plants in resonant years have been over by now. I even pick up two hanging baskets for a £7.50 from homebase reduced from £17.50 each these are still going strong (unheard of for me).

James

07/09/2013 at 08:07

Before Paeonies put on growth in the Spring pop an upturned 16" wire basket on top.....normally pick them up this time of the year from the dump....as it grows it comes through the holes, the basket is completely hidden and no staking required 

07/09/2013 at 08:12

If you have a climber or arching shrub you want to propagate from take a length of growth peg it down onto the soil with a tent peg, cover with a little mound of soil just where it is pegged and leave for a month or so. Go check it every now and again and once roots developed cut it from the mother plant and pot it up.

07/09/2013 at 08:26

I got £98 of plants for £10 a couple of years ago at B & Q. It was a Monday and they seem to pick their day to reduce. The man said that they had ordered too many plants and needed the room. Among my stash were Christmas roses for 10p! I felt so good. i've never stopped looking and have picked up so many bargains.

07/09/2013 at 09:00

This years bargain was 4 yellow/orange plant pots complete with 5 narsisia and conpost at a price of jusy £1.25 each.I have just planted the bulbs in the garden as they still feel quite firm.As for the pots i planted up with some really nice dahlias,which are still in good bloom now,as i regulary dead head them.

I would like to see if you could buy a glazed terracota pot for £1.25 Check this site out    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Squeaky-Buffalos-Tropical-Seeds

07/09/2013 at 15:13

I think that no supermarkets can keep plants looking good, so i guess that's the place to find your bargain.

07/09/2013 at 19:55

Does anyone think that membrain realy work's or is it a useless waste of time?http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Squeaky-Buffalos-Tropical-Seeds

08/09/2013 at 17:06

How many of you chop mineral bottles open to use as a mini propogater?They are great for seeds that require higher levels of humidity for the likes of  palm,banana'sand other tropicals.Do you think that people are put off with trying to grow tropical plants in this country,do would be supprised just as to what you can grow.

08/09/2013 at 19:52

What is the best composting methods?

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Squeaky-Buffalos-Tropical-Seeds

16/09/2013 at 20:17

I cannot get enough empty coke or mineral bottle at the moment what i do is to cut the tops of about 6" from the top of the srew caps. then just pop the ower a plant pot.great little propogator for free,especially for seeds that need that extra humidity to germinate.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Squeaky-Buffalos-Tropical-Seeds

19/09/2013 at 16:05

I just found a usefull tip from a friend which is how to tell the difference between new growth on a rose bush from a sucker. new shoots have 5 digits and suker has seven digits.quite a usefull tip i though.

19/09/2013 at 16:10

Generally yes, but any marked difference in leaf structure or number is a good sign of a sucker plus suckers tend to grow from the rootstock.

20/09/2013 at 22:18

yes miss paula some know but not all,now please return to your seat

20/09/2013 at 22:34

Sorry sir 

21/09/2013 at 03:19

Good thread, Diddy. I just put in an order with Thompson & Morgan using my Tesco vouchers, and some promotional vouchers from their wee catalogues. Well, split it into two, actually so I could use more vouchers. Did you all know that you can swap £5 worth of tesco vouchers for £15 worth of T&M vouchers? So on first order, it should have been £77.91.  Used 3 tesco vouchers worth£45, 1 promo voucher worth £10, a £5 gift voucher that came with my fuchsias earlier in yr, AND got free p&p cos order was over £60! That £60 was all in vouchers. Total money spent---£17.91!!!! He He He Ha Ha ha OOpS, they're coming to take me away, hehehehehehe! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Then I did a teeny seed order separately just to use a £5 promo voucher, so total worth of orders over £90, spent £22!!!

Can't wait for my plants n stuff to arrive! And nearly guilt free spending too. With lots more tesco vouchers to spend, as you can only use 3 at a time.

I used to have a paper potter but it got lost when I moved. Was great, especially if you can set the kids on to make the pots.  No root disturbance, biodegradeable, re-cycling, nice wee job to do in the warm when you can't get in the garden, saves tons of pennies and can fit loads in a tray. And no cleaning pots!  Only downside is filling them with compost. Anyone devised a quick and easy way?

Thanks for that link, Clueless, will be buying a new one, now. When I got mine, many moons ago, there where 3 sizes. Will be looking for them all.

22/09/2013 at 00:36

msbeehaven please see me in my private quarters and you also Gj i want to know what medication your both on.

22/09/2013 at 01:27

Diddy, my meds AND propagator tops come from cider bottles. Can't be doing with that coke stuff, rots yer teeth! And the green plastic has built in shading for delicate plants! Make great watering bottles for seedlings, too,if you drill holes in cap, and the darker colour means you can keep water at gh temp without getting algae growing.  AND, i'm going to try filling lots with hot water at night to put in GH under tender plants. (think that one came from Bob the Gardener on another thread). So, ner ne ner ne nerner!!!

Sooorrrreeeee.

22/09/2013 at 09:11
Diddydoit4u wrote (see)

msbeehaven please see me in my private quarters and you also Gj i want to know what medication your both on.

Ooh errr 

41 to 60 of 64 messages