London (change)
Today 11°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
1 to 20 of 64 messages
04/09/2013 at 14:30

Hello.

The aim of this thread that i have opened is aimed to help other gardener's to progress with their skill's,to achieve better standard's. It does'nt matter what it is, weather it be a growing tip on veg,plant's,food,wine making with your produce.The aim is purely to help other to get more out of their garden's.

So let's see how it goe's.

Dave.

04/09/2013 at 15:28

Use salt in cracks and crevices where you can't get in to remove weeds such as dandelions.  Make sure it doesn't run onto lawns though If it rains.

04/09/2013 at 18:03

Great idea Paula,i will use that one,Cheer,s.

04/09/2013 at 18:06

Does anyone know to prolong the life of cut flower's that actually doe's work.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/30493.jpg?width=170&height=169&mode=max

04/09/2013 at 20:38
an aspirin helps a bit
04/09/2013 at 21:09

Trim off the mushy bit at bottom of the stems each week after putting in the vase when you top up with fresh water. in fact change the water, not sure it works but my cut flowers seem to last longer.

Don't let the vase dry out either. Flowers cut from the garden seem to drink more than bought one's.

04/09/2013 at 21:20

I always plant seeds that don't like to be messed with in old toilet roll tubes and just let them rot.. Usually sweet peas and even my chillies stops the roots being disturbed.....

04/09/2013 at 21:23

Lillies - cut them with closed buds. The one's in the shops are bought like this and last longer. Take the stamens off as soon as the flowers open to stop your table/mat or cloth from being stained.

If cutting sunflowers for indoors, when they are past their best put them somewhere to dry out, you can save the seeds,  for the birds to eat over Winter. Unless you are in competition as to who can grow the biggest sunflower grow multi headed one's, they attract wildfile, bee's love them and the seeds can be saved for the birds.      

04/09/2013 at 21:28

10s woodbine packets  grandad used and dad for sweetpeas .. but toilet roll  centres work fine  for sweetpeas now for me

04/09/2013 at 22:12

Plant sweetpeas in a piece of c shaped guttering to avoid disturbing the roots and then just cut a c shape out of your ground and slide them in I would also stake and train as soon as possible to avoid stunting there growth.

Dig soil as early as possible to let the frost break it down even in annual flower beds.

Add blood fish and bone meal to you potting compost in December, this way the fertilizer shouldn’t burn roots when you pot up plants in the spring.
I like to line large metal plant pots with a bin liner so the pot doesn’t show signs of fertilizer/water damage so easily.
Raise all pots up of the ground to let air in also it stops ants nesting so I’ve been told.
I also use to use water retaining crystals to my hanging baskets but I now don’t bother as it pays to inspect the baskets on a regular basis to dead head so it always good to water at the same time with a watering can without a rose so you are watering the soil and not running water of the foliage.
I always sit my hanging baskets on buckets, water it until it runs out the wait 20 min and then repeat every other day on the middle days spray the foliage with a sprayer I use a hand pump sprayer.
James

05/09/2013 at 08:22

Diddy re cut flowers my mum always uses lemonade!!

05/09/2013 at 10:11

I noticed last year that i was giving away loads of plannts to friends and neigbours.The i dawned on me thatwhat am i going to use next year for plant pot's,as i had given that many away.Then my mother in law bougt me one of those gadget's that help you to make pot's from used news paper,and it was brilliant.So now my own plants i do in plant pot's and any surplus go into the paper pot's,Problem now sorted.It's great when you think of how exspensive plastic pots are    

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQzLcMKURzIr5Br-PLLu7g83lUk-5daz53y-JSROo6zc8-hzi54-Q

05/09/2013 at 10:25

Fab idea must get one of those

05/09/2013 at 11:06

I found a great item to store some of your seeds in,it's a tablet/ pill box.the one i am using is a weekly type which has 28 compartments in it.it keeps them secure and if required you can leave the lids open to allow them to breath.

05/09/2013 at 12:25

Quote Plant sweetpeas in a piece of c shaped guttering to avoid disturbing the roots and then just cut a c shape out of your ground and slide them in I would also stake and train as soon as possible to avoid stunting there growth.

Whoops! That'll be fine for edible peas, but not sweet peas.

05/09/2013 at 13:28

I think clueless gardener has already mentioned this technique,However it is a great tip David.

Thank you for your imput.

Dr Diddy.

05/09/2013 at 13:39

Sorry i forgot to ask "why not sweet peas"?.

05/09/2013 at 14:00
Diddydoit4u wrote (see)

I think clueless gardener has already mentioned this technique,However it is a great tip David.

Thank you for your imput.

Dr Diddy.

Quite....that's why I prefixed my post with 'quote'.

Why not sweet peas? Because they are very deep rooted, hence require deep pots, especially those sown in autumn.

Rain guttering is far too shallow. 

05/09/2013 at 14:07

Well that's great advice for the likes of me as every year i try to grow sweet pes for her in door's but fail misserably they end up like a great tangled mess.I then have to tell that it's an airbourn infection that has spread throughout the country,and i will try again next year.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRk5bb_frOtddLQaLdka2Z4BVhJcxa8QvxBSCIdHYNERK27FAUp

Dr Diddy.

05/09/2013 at 14:27

Thank you Davidk but I was talking about spring planting I've seen this tip on the TV I think it was GW about 8 yrs ago.

sorry for the miss information guys

James

1 to 20 of 64 messages