Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

To-do lists

I seem to be collecting  to-do lists (tdl). I have a garden one, a bedroom decorating order-work one,a general one, and a shopping list for garden and DIY bits.

I know most people have TDL's of greater or lesser size, but does anybody manage to complete them fairly regularly? I seem to complete a job, cross it off the list, but whilst working on the task  seem to notice some other job that needs to go on the list.

I have even ,occasionally, put a reminder on the general TDL to check one of the other lists - I think I know what a dormouse on a treadmill feels like.

Am I sad, and on the road to nowhere?

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

I have been known to write things I have already done on a tdl .....just for the pleasure of crossing them offimage

Found Chicklet's phone buzzing the other day ....it was an alarm telling her to "check list".  I have taught her wellimage

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Lists are wonderful things. I would like to write a novel that just consists of lists (that's almost poetry!...almostimage)  Everyone's life could be quantified as a series of lists.

I write lists in pencil and cross out the achieved objective with a green highlighter...gosh how satisfying is thatimage

Today's list was; wash hair, walk dogette, sort front flower bed (which took most of the day) get wallflowers, deliver recipe for apple and almond cobbler to friend, lay fire, get fuel in....and so forth...and that is the texture of our lives.image

• hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053

I am a list maker. As soon as I have as many jobs to do that threaten to overwhelm me, I make a list. And yes I have been known to add things on that were not on the list but which I had done, just to get the satisfaction of scoring them off. That counterbalances the fact I score one off then add at least 2 on! Lists are great! Except when I get to over 20 jobs to do in the garden  then I get depressed.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

Looks as though a few of us love to add stuff to cross offimage

There are to do lists, shopping lists, Christmas lists, lists of plants I fancy, holiday packing lists and the list goes on .. and on ...

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

I used to write really long TTD lists (things to do) but then I read in my W&H mag that to stop yourself getting stressed you should write 5 things to do and then focus in them........I can't do that so I write one big list but then highlight the top 5, if I get them done it's a good result.

Needless to say, the gardening one keeps growing and growing....so far I've crossed off 'pull up dead sunflowers' and 'pull up dead Cosmos'..........not good!!

Not started a Christmas list yet, but will do soon, it's a good focus with dark nights starting tomorrow image

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 8,478

I use " to do lists " but only put on 10 items so I can complete them , that way I feel I have achieved something and not to detailed 

For major jobs treat them as project eg. New front door needed

but whatever happens they are flexible , so don't get stressed if I don't achieve what I wanted to doimage