Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

To re-turf a garden can you just lay turf on top?

Have been told that I can lay new turf over an existing lawn/turf, have I been told this info by a cowboy or can it actually be done like that?

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

I supose it depends on whether the site is level and how much weed is in it. I have been slicing turf off of my garden to make into beds, put it on a bank, 2 turfs deep and its well growing.

I dare say you will get lots of real practical advise on here, so wait for some more comments. Personally, i would if it was level and weed free.  Saves a lot of work if you want a quick job.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Just requires a re-turf that's all, it's very mossy & patchy etc
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Agree with Edd - it'll just curl up and die image  If a job's worth doing it's worth doing well, and all that jazz image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Ah so it was a cowboy who told me this, I thought as much...I have laid turf before but when he told me this I thought I was missing a trick....Thanks everyone image

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

...it's a bit like the cowboy who told me that he could lay laminate flooring over carpet...image

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

I will keep an eye on my bank then, i wonder how long it will take to die.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.