Start a new thread

1 to 13 of 13 replies

i have a metal framed greenhouse and my tomatoes were ok in grow bags with a cane support but they have shot up and are now too heavy for the supports.  I can't support from the roof there is nothing to hang them from, any ideas 

Oh and it has a stone base

Steve 309

Can you fix lengths of wood across from eaves to eaves?  You could then hang strings from those.

BobTheGardener

I drilled small holes through part of the frame and strung a length of strong galvanised garden wire along the length of each side.  Then it is easy to tie twine to the wire above each plant.  I'll upload a few photo's if you'd like to see how that works, Susan?

Not all frames are suitable but it should be possible on most of the common aluminium types.

Steve 309

That sounds like a good idea Bob.  Might it be useful to paint the inside of each hole to prevent corrosion where the galvanising's missing...?

Advertisement

BobTheGardener

On a steel-framed greenhouse that would be the best thing to do, Steve.

Steve 309

Ah yes - they tend to be aluminium don't they?  I've had the luxury of a large hardwood greenhouse for a year and a half so I may  not be fully in touch with normal ones !

BobTheGardener

I'd love a wooden one Steve!  One day, maybe..

pansyface

If it's aluminium, take a look at Elite greenhouse spare parts. They sell special little split rings that slot into special bolts that then slot into the greenhouse frame.

Ok thanks for the help

pansyface

I thank you, Fleurisa