London (change)
Today 17°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 8°C
2 messages
28/07/2013 at 11:07

Hi all, I have tomato plants in the greenhouse, they have loads of flowers at top of plant, should I get rid of some othe hem or leave alone.

28/07/2013 at 11:23

Hi John, the answer is "it depends"..

Received wisdom says that once you have 4 or 5 trusses that you should pinch-out the tops of the plants which will prevent any more flower trusses being produced.  However, you only want to do this if all of the lower trusses have already set fruit which may not be the case - I have had years in which the bottom two trusses failed to set so doing that would have resulted in a very small crop.  My advice is to nip out the tops once you have 4 or 5 trusses of SET fruit, or when the tops of the plants have reached roof level or have otherwise out-grown the available space.  The other consideration is the weather and time of the year - if there isn't enough time left for new fruit to grow and ripen then you don't want the plant to waste energy producing fruit which will never ripen.  That one is a judgement call as it depends on local growing conditions.  Commericial producers with heated greenhouses grow tomato plants to 20+ feet tall for instance.

email image
2 messages