London (change)
Today 11°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
17 messages
26/08/2014 at 08:51
Well chilli heads how is your harvest? Mine is great and it's time to start to make sauces, jams and rubs ..... So share your harvest ideas here!!! If you don't have a dehydrator to dry your chillis don't worry. Set your oven as low as it will go and slowly dry your harvest. Check every hour so they don't burn and remember to save some seeds for next year. The vest chilli sauce recipe I have found is as follows: Rehydrate 12 dried chillis (24 if they are small)in white vinegar ( keep the vinegar afterwards it develops quite a kick) After a week they should be plump again( you can of course use fresh) X 3 peeled peppers ( usual burn skin method or buy a pre peeled jar) Half a bulb of celery leaves and all Half a teaspoon on cumin powder X1 onion X 3 cloves of garlic X. 1/4 cup of cider vinegar X 1/4 cup tomato sauce or passata 3 cups of water Place all of the above ingredients in a pan and summer until the liquid reduced to roughly a cup and a half . Then blitz in a mixer or using a stick blender. Taste at this stage ad if you think it needs vinegar add little until it tastes just yum!!! Keeps for ages!!! Tinker with the recipe to add to it to your taste.... We use smoked chipotles as the chilli base (6 chipotle and 6 of out chillis) Ensure the bottles are sterile and enjoy X
26/08/2014 at 09:01
If u want a BBQ taste add a BBQ sauce instead of tomato sauce or liquid smoke....
26/08/2014 at 09:08
Sweet chilli sauce:

- 4-6 skinned peppers
- 100g/3??oz chillies
- 1 tomato, seeds removed, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves
- small knob fresh root ginger
- 450g/1lb sugar
- 350ml/12fl oz white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp salt
- pinch black pepper
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar

1. Blend the peppers, chilli, tomato, garlic and ginger in a blender or food processor.
2. Add the remaining ingredients to a saucepan and tip in the chilli mixture. Bring to a rolling boil and cook until the sauce thickens ??? about 15-20 minutes.
3. Pour into sterilised jars.

Yum yum yum.....

Mix egg white and cot flour and dip prawns or chickens into the mix then deep fry. Then toss In this sauce absolutely fab supper
26/08/2014 at 10:34

You can freeze chillies whole

26/08/2014 at 12:14
Yes or chop into ice cube trays with a little water
26/08/2014 at 17:04

CHILLI JAM

150gms/5oz long fresh red chillies deseeded and cut into four pieces each.
150gms/5oz sweet red pepper cored deseeded and cut into chunks
1kg/2.2lbs Jam sugar
600mls cider vinegar

6x250 ml sterilized sealable jars with vinegar proof lids

Put the cut up chillies into the food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add the chunks of sweet pepper and pulse again until you have a vibrantly red-flecked processor bowl.

Dissolve the sugar in the vinegar in a wide, medium-sized pan over a low heat without stirring. (No I don't know why either).

Scrape the pepper mixture out of the bowl and add to the pan. Bring to the boil and leave it at a rollicking boil for 10 minutes.

Take the pan off the heat and allow to cool. The liquid will become more syrupy, then from viscous to jelly like as it cools.

After about 40 minutes, or once the red flecks are more or less evenly distributed in the jelly (as the liquid firms up, the bits of chilli and pepper start being suspended in it rather than floating in it), ladle it into your jars. If you want to stir it gently at this stage it will do no harm. Then seal tightly.

Make the jam up to one month before using or giving.
Store in a cool dark place for up to a year.
Once opened store in the fridge and use within a month.

27/08/2014 at 07:44
Oooo hogweed that sounds great
27/08/2014 at 10:43

Bump! Hoping to get some chilli action later in the week!

27/08/2014 at 11:21

hogweed.  If you stir the sugar and vinegar as it is heating it can crystallise. 

29/08/2014 at 08:09

Has anyone tried flavoured oils? I've been thinking of giving that a go.

29/08/2014 at 08:15

I have one red chilli, it is going to take pride of place in my tomato chutney today 

I think my chillies are a bit slow but I'm clearing the GH later and putting them all in there so I might get some more......if they stop getting eaten 

29/08/2014 at 08:20

Flavoured oils.............Chilli oil using fresh or dried chillies.  Stir fry oil.......Spring Onion, Chillies, Garlic and fresh Ginger.  Basil oil, Rosemary Oil, Garlic oil plus a few more.  I find all work well but you need a good quality oil - olive oil for preference.

29/08/2014 at 08:25

Not an extra virgin olive oil though, or at lest not all extra virgin as the taste is stronger than olive oil and will take away from the flavour of the  'ingredients' Also, just pure olive oil (not EV) is better for frying  Rapeseed oil is also a good one to use.  When I get more chillies I'm planning in making chilli oil 

29/08/2014 at 08:27

I was just going to ask about whether the EV would be too strong. Thanks!

29/08/2014 at 08:28

If it is for a salad dressing and has strong flavours in it (eg chilli) it might be ok, but for more delicate flavours and/or frying I  would just use pure or rapeseed 

01/09/2014 at 14:23

Stacey - that chilli sauce is awesome!  Made some this morning (lost the will to live skinning the peppers, though so some were just processed very finely) but the taste is, according to OH (with due deference to The Great Escape) Wow!!!

01/09/2014 at 16:34

I do chilli jams and flavouredoils and also freeze spare chillies but last year I also threaded assorted red, yellow and purple chillies on some fine cotton threads and hung them in my kithcen window so they could dry.  They looked very festive - to the point that my suspicious daughter had to ask if I was using them as Xmas decs.   Who me?

email image
17 messages