Start a new thread

121 to 140 of 277 replies

Talkback

Transport needed for flooded gardens

Flooded gardens support really taking off; we need transport relays

Jump to latest post

121 to 140 of 277 replies

Rosie31

Great advice, Artjak - all take note!   I don't want to get too excited... many a slip and all that.... but it does look hopeful.

nutcutlet

When I transport plants I give them a good standing in water soak the day before they go. The excess has drained off but there's plenty to keep them alive.

this is for established in pots perennials, I don't do anything else

artjak

Good advice nut

Rosie, that's wonderful news. Will keep my fingers crossed. I second Artjak's and Nuts comments about packing, the plants should be fine. I was able to get hold of some wooden vegetable boxes from our local organic shop for free, which were stackable for small pots, but they would let the light in of course.

I dropped off another load at Andrew's on Monday on my way down to Devon (didn't think I'd get daughter, her bags, my bags and plants all in my little Fiesta, but we managed it!  That will be my last lot for a while as we're off on hols next week, but somebody on Freegle is potting up some more for me in May.

I drove back up via Taunton to Glastonbury on the previously flooded A361 and it doesn't look too bad now.  Some fields obviously trashed but others had been ploughed and sheep plus lambs were on grass in others. Lots and lots of sandbags along the river at Burrowbridge still. Couldn't see into many gardens as too busy driving with lots of traffic but hedgerows/trees seemed okay and very green. Guess it might take some time to see if the roots survive the wet.

Artjak, that's a huge number of pots you've got, well done you.(hope you can get them all in!

Jeannie, how are all your plants doing?

Dovefromabove

If the boxes are covered make sure you mark clearly which way is up and that they mustn't be stacked!!!  Many lorrydrivers are gardeners and lovely people, but there may be the odd one who's just in one heckovarush!!! 

Brilliant news!!!

Advertisement

Lizzie and Rosie...............plants safely delivered to Andrew this a.m. 

artjak

Evening bump

Rosie31

Philippa - great to meet you and well done on delivery!

chicky

Just to let you all know that I have made contact with Rosie's driver volunteer, and it will be dead easy for me to get plants to him when he is up this way.  So if anyone within striking distance of Haslemere/Farnham has spare plants they can get to me, we now have a weekly opportunity to send them down to Somerset.  Happy to act as staging post, so pot up those spare seedlings rather than send the surplus to the compost heap.

Rosie31

Chicky - wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!

artjak

Chicky, that is such great news

chicky
Thinking about it, given that i work quite a long way from home - the potential catchment area can be extended to anywhere near Farnham/Haslemere/Windsor/Staines/Guildford/Camberley - not sure if that helps anyone??
artjak

Have you looked on the map chicky, to see if anyone involved in this thread is in any of those places?

Rosie31

TRANSPORT OFFERED.... East Anglia and South Wales

We have two offers of help from the Palletline network.  Depots in Norwich (NR16 2JU)  and Llanelli (SA14 8YP) will receive our plants and arrange for the to be passed on to Framptons, who will then get them to Somerset.   For free!

So if anyone is within striking distance of those two depots, let me know and I'll give you details.

Hoping for more depots to sign up soon, fingers crossed....

Rosie

Advertisement

artjak

Wonderful news Rosie

nutcutlet

I think it's great that these companies,  are helping out  with a project like this one. 

I don't know if anyone at Palletline or Framptons will visit the forum but if they do, a big thank you from me

Plant growing is easy (for me).  Transport less so.

artjak

nut, I second that

Rosie31

Nut, AJ, !