Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Tree for small front garden?

WaysideWayside Posts: 845

I'm looking for something a bit different with all year interest.  It can't get too large, about 8ft max with a 2metre radius (smaller probably better).  Something a bit different, that has small leaves that will let the sun through to the rest of the garden.  It needs to tolerate heavy winds too and be a chalk lover, but I might be able to get around the soil problem.

Tamarisk caught my eye.  We have a white, pink, purple scheme, except for yellow in early spring.  It doesn't have to match that scheme. We have lots of lavender growing.  I like Buddleia but the other half hates it.  Shame as one would fit well.

It can be a large shrub, but I'd like an upright, standard shape.

Thanks.

• WaysideWayside Posts: 845

(Sorry I've dumped my recent posts in the Talkback section by accident, mods please move.)

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

Your heading says Tree. Hard to find a tree that small.

But I think you've answered your own question. Tamarix, if you keep it pruned would be perfect. They prefer acid to neutral soils but tolerate alkali if you dig in plenty of compost, you could add some ericaceous compost. The soil must not dry out.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • Not sure if it appeals, but it does meet your height requirements.....how about a Kilmarnock Willow?

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

Wayside does it have to be a tree? I just got a viburnum that says it will reach around 10 foot, nice shape amazing fragrance

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

Btw that,s my colour scheme too, yellow allowed in spring, then pink , white, purple/blue in thing else allowed!

Thanks for the suggestions. Have decided against Willow, as have a few out the back, but I did see a nice Flamingo one.

I'm considering non-trees too, this is my current list, not sure if I have a favourite:

Pink Viburnum
    Viburnum × bodnantense 'Dawn'
    Too much leaf shade?

Witchhazel
    Hamamelis × intermedia 'Pallida'

Stag's horn sumac
    Rhus typhina
    Too large?

Spindle tree
    Euonymus europaeus 'Red Cascade'

Tamarisk
    Worried it might get a little wayward.

Juneberry
    Too large?

Dwarf Almond

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

That's a good list, but sumach can be a nuisance sending up suckers.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Ooooh, I'd go for the Euonymus - it's a lovely thing image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Still undecided, although I like all.  Today made me realise that it should be pretty wind tolerant, and even act as partial windbreak for some of the other bedding plants.   Something like a big grass would probably be better suited...

• Windbreak (near to the ground)
    • Not too much leaf shade
    • Wind tolerant
    • Hardy
    • Chalk tolerant, poor soil
    • Pretty and a little different!

Yes I want it all.

The wind can sometimes snap off the tops of plants/shrubs.  image

I fancied the spindle tree, but saw a Viburnum pink dawn, and bought that and have planted it.   Sadly it's not evergreen, but it does provide some winter interest with pink flowers.  It's still bedding in.  A gardener friend did warn me that it can get quite large - having said that he's a fan of the plant.

It has a vase shape, whereas the spindle looks as if it can grow quite wide.  So the former should suit the small garden better.

I think I'll try and find a spindle tree also, I must have at least one!  Perhaps I can find a space for it out the front, if not out the back.  Does anyone know how near to the house you can grow them?  Are the roots pervasive?  Victorian property without concrete foundation.