London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
8 messages
17/07/2014 at 17:31

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/52832.jpg?width=336&height=350&mode=max

I think this is a flowering crab apple tree, the leaves are supposed to be copper, however is looks ill, and the leaves are falling off it.  There is new growth on it which is health.  

It does get sun most of the day shade late afternoon, the soil is pretty dry as it is planted in a new build garden 

Does anyone have any idea how to revive it? I did scatter some fish and bone meal in the spring under it. 

17/07/2014 at 17:40

That branch looks dead, I think I can see evidence of coral spot fungus which only attacks dead wood. I would prune out the affected branches and keep it well-watered in the hot weather.

17/07/2014 at 17:53
All the branches are affected. However all of the branches have new growth at the very end
17/07/2014 at 18:08

I have an apple tree and a pear tree side by side. The apple tree started a couple of years ago to have brown spots on the leaves. The fruit also had these (unattractive) spots. This year it is getting worse. I have what looks like healthy branches, on both trees, and dotted all over the branches there are pieces of the tree that is dead. Can anyone help please?

17/07/2014 at 21:23

Linda, I think your tree may have scab, which is a fungal disease causing spots on leaves and fruit.  Collecting & destroying fallen leaves will help to stop it recurring - and you can spray (in early spring, I think, but you'd need to check!) with fungicide containing miclobutanyl (don't know about spelling...).  John, have you been watering your tree?  Here in the pennines we've had weeks of largely dry weather.  It could just be stressed from uneven watering, if it's fairly new - though check for spots or mildew on the leaves too.  If it's producing new growth at the ends of its branches then it's clearly not yet terminal...

17/07/2014 at 21:42
It ihas been planted for two years. It has been very dry here and the soil is not the best. I have been watering ir every so often. I do not want to over water. Would a watering can once a week suffice? Thanks for your help!
17/07/2014 at 22:06

John, it sounds as if you're doing all the right things - feeding in spring, watering when really dry.  Next spring after feeding you could try mulching with compost or manure to feed the soil and keep in the moisture.  As to whether you're putting on enough water, maybe you need to dig a hole & see if the soil is dry a few inches down.  You say the soil isn't the best - if it's heavy clay you do need to be careful the tree doesn't sit in water.  It's a balancing act... 

17/07/2014 at 23:14

Many thanks Liriodendron for your help.I'll take your advice.

email image
8 messages