Start a new thread

I planted a white tree paeony last year and very soon afterwards a spade fell on it and knocked off the top.  The plant has grown very little in height this year, with no buds or blooms.  Should I give up on it and buy another?

Stacey Docherty

No just persevere! My mum was given one and my dad pruned it!!! It didn't flower for 2 years this year it has a spectacular display

Most peonies only flower after 2-3 years .  My tree peony flowered for the first time this year (year 3).  It was only the one flower (!) but absolutely worth it.  I am hoping for a few more next year.

nutcutlet

knocking the top off won't hurt it but i should get another one. 2 tree paeonies are better than one. How about a nice red one

OK - I'll hang on in there - and maybe get a red one for another part of the garden!!  Thanks, guys.

Advertisement

Atilla

You never know it may come back - place it somewhere out of the way. If it comes back then good, if not them you have something to add to the compost.

Diddydoit

It should encourage it to sprout more branches.Mine flowered for the first time this year with three of the most beautiful pink flowers.It was well worth the three year wait.

I did feed it well with comphery leafs in water which i had brewing for several ( what a smell it is ) but it does the trick.Also i have it placed in full sun.

Hope this may be of some use to you.

Dave.

nutcutlet

I grow mine in part shade, they seem to do better there for me. the flowers last longer and keep their colour better.

Diddydoit

that sound like a good idea, after all you have waited three years for it to flower so you want to make it last.