London (change)
Today 20°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 15°C
8 messages
19/06/2014 at 10:27

Is there anything else you can use as a liner, other than the coconut ones, for my hanging trough.  They just don't seem to be lasting.

19/06/2014 at 10:32
Morning, will it be visable? A compost bag, black side out usually does the trick, just puncture it where you need. You can put moss in the visible bits if you want to
19/06/2014 at 11:35

I line them with an old compost bag inside, but my main problem is the magpies pulling it to pieces to make their nests!

19/06/2014 at 11:47
Thats gonna be a tough one to remedy, dunno much that would stand up to a magpie and not much they wont consider for nest building. What are you growing? Might have to be a camoflage job for this year
19/06/2014 at 13:20
What about using some sacking material?Might not be quite so attractive and less hairy for them to find ends to tug at?

Like Fleurisa we used old compost bags inside out so they were plain black but didn't bother with moss or anything ( we were on a very tight budget at the time). You can make holes in to have plants on the sides but it was soon hidden by foliage and trailing plants anyway
19/06/2014 at 13:39

Alan Titchmarsh once did an experiment and found that old woollen jumpers make very good hanging basket liners.   At Keukenhof (Dutch bulb garden) I've seen hanging baskets lined with plastic but with a piece of colourful fabric between it and the basket to pretty it up.

I use the coconut fibre thingies with a square of old compost bag on the inside to retain moisture.    I did once find some sort of compressed cardboard liners and they lasted several seasons.

19/06/2014 at 17:36
I wonder if those sea grass things you lie on at the beach would work?
Lyn
19/06/2014 at 18:37

I use the compost bag inside out. Make the holes for drainage about 2inches up, not right in the bottom, it will then hold some water instead of draining right out.

email image
8 messages