London (change)
Today 26°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
8 messages
11/11/2012 at 09:18

I'm not too sure I can discuss the GW TV show here but I think it would be pertinent for the producers to work on a SPECIAL EDITION for next year about the Ash Die-Back issue.

Travelling from Northern Europe and tracking the virus to the UK, and what we, gardeners, should do (i.e. do we have to burn all leaf mould from this & last year?), and interviewing the DEFRA Minister. Just a thought.

11/11/2012 at 09:23

I'm sure there'll be a programme on this if there hasn't been already. Not sure if it's GW material though.

11/11/2012 at 09:32
Ed Walter wrote (see)

.... do we have to burn all leaf mould from this & last year?...

Part of the problem is that no-one actually knows.

There is an article in some of today's newspapers that suggests that leaves should be burned, and that the spores can survive in compost for more than a year, and that compost that may contain ash leaves should not be transferred outside of infected areas...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/countryside/9669487/Gardeners-told-to-burn-fallen-ash-leaves.html

If there was a need for a TV program about the entire subject, then Countryfile would be the most appropriate place.

11/11/2012 at 10:20

Newsnight are good at investigative journalism

11/11/2012 at 10:33

I want John Humphries to have the head of DEFRA for Breakfast. (DEFRA were warned about this problem several years ago, and decided to do nothing).

11/11/2012 at 12:39

did i hear a touch of sarcasm there Soto

11/11/2012 at 13:59

Soto is being very polite, I can think of stronger words. These people are PAID good money to monitor our environment. As it is, we are losing our green sites through indiscriminate encroachment on the  land.

Wildlife is suffering....i.e. hedgehogs, due to garden owners constructing 6' fences and concreting the gardens.

If we carry on losing our woods there will be nothing left of our "green and pleasant land." It takes a foreign visitor to remind us with a passing remark that our green sites are very precious.

12/11/2012 at 22:58

talking of 6 foot fences iv just joined the fence people,that wont help hedgehogs in any way that i can think of, Why because  iv just purchased my last and permanent house to retire in, here in Tenby South Wales ,I'm an allotmenteer and support wild life with as large a pond as I'm allowed here and we are planning on bird feeders ,hedgehog houses and anything else we can do to help wild life including all the plants that help and with a little help bee hives,But these so called cat lovers who let their cats roam wild all day anywhere they want,and leave their  Mess all over other peoples gardens including mine day after day, really should think again if dogs did it on there gardens they would be the first to complain, and iv heard all the rubbish excuses they talk before, the bill for fencing off my property to stop other peoples cats using my garden as a toilet is now over £100 to fence it off and that don't help any wildlife does it NO cat owners know nothing about wildlife or being neighborly  no  its not the animals fault ,its the owners So now i have no hedghogs to enjoy or help no wonder they are becoming extint ,i used to have slow worms also but the cats play with them then kill them,So are we allowed to let our dogs roam free No so why  cats and please dont give me all that sloppy silly cat lovers stuff i was reading on this site,half of the owners have 2or 3 or more and do cats mess in there own back yard No its in soneone elses

email image
8 messages