London (change)
Today 15°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
6 messages
08/08/2012 at 10:02

Just an observation, I watch and read most gardening programs and especially this year have noticed that GW and Beechwood are the most in realtime. Even articles in the news papers writen by AT speak of WATERING. Am I the only gardener whose plants are drowning?

Good on you MD for telling us that your veggies and flowers have suffered with the weather. I don't feel so isolated!

08/08/2012 at 10:28

Well, put it this way.

Some of my plants have invested in canoes.....

08/08/2012 at 15:04

This has been a bad year for every gardener no matter where they are in GB, even though all gardens seem to be drowning I was very surprised to find dry places and pots when I check daily so in pouring rain had to water some plants, we also had more sun and heat than we thought which quickly dried things up depending on the drainage of any particular garden.
The gardens you mention are laid down from new with correct drainage and also the needs of the plants to be grown so they do have an advantage, we mere mortals have what we got when we bought the place we live in. My house was new build, (well thirty years ago now) I knew what was under the top soil so dug out drainage channels and put down deep gravel which sent the excess water downhill from me, it has paid off over the years, as with all things it is in the preparation, usually hard work but worth it in the end.
Frank.

09/08/2012 at 09:11

I like it Alina, I like it,not only are gardeners very generous people but have a wicked sense of humour.........it has come in to be VERY useful in the last few years!

My poor plants are struggling to keep their heads above the h2o that they haven't got around to thinking of canoes never mind buying them!!

But hey, God willing there is next year!

09/08/2012 at 09:16

GW is filmed 2 weeks ahead so is not always weather accurate 

09/08/2012 at 22:02

2 weeks?? We nearly drowned for 2 months!!

email image
6 messages